Another WAMC USMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calixd123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks mates.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your stats are fantastic. Why would you dual apply, your app alone is probably top 10% based on just that. IMO your main job is to NOT screw up your application/interview.

For what it's worth, 1 of 2 in medical school interviews (got in first time), now retina attending in academics.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks very much! Apologies for the neuroticism, but I felt the lack of ophtho research/participation in AAO/etc. would be a bit of a glaring deficit.

Thanks very much! Apologies for the neuroticism, but I felt the lack of ophtho research/participation in AAO/etc. would be a bit of a glaring deficit.
There are plenty of residencies where it doesn't really matter if the medical student did research. Maybe they might like something done but when the medical student is actually matched, the resulting resident doesn't do much other than a yearly project.

Sometimes little things will catch the eye of those in power. My undergraduate school was liked and it was commented at least twice or more when I was a resident so it might have made a difference. It could be your looks or your height. Or maybe the person who wrote your recommendations were known and liked.

With USMLE step 1 being pass/fail, the dynamics will certainly change. The name of the school will be more important, which doesn't help the original poster. The reputation of the ophthalmology department of the home medical school will also be more important than before.

(side note, 2 of 3 for medical school interviews, and no D.O. schools applied to)