Another loupes question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRAZYTERP

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been beaten to death already. I am not asking about whether to buy or not to buy, I already have them and made that decision long ago, and I actually like using them. My question for those out there is what focal length do you recommend. Currently mine are about 24cm seated and 30 standing for my working distance. I was told my one of my attendings that I should be closer and several others that I should be farther away. It feels good to me but not sure if I am missing something here. Does anyone have any input from their own experience?

Thanks,
Amit

Members don't see this ad.

who cares where others feel you need to be. If you feel comfortable reaching where you do with the loupes on while sitting or while standing, you have the right focal distance for you.

I don't care if you are 2 standard deviations outside the norm. If it's safe and comfortable for you and the patient, it's the right distance for you.

If it's safe and comfortable for you and the patient, it's the right distance for you.

I'm not even sure what mine are anymore. I put them on only for parotids and that's about it. I much prefer the microscope for everything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
II much prefer the microscope for everything else.

Thyroids?

For me, pretty much loupes for parotids, thyroids, thyroplasties and a few scattered small incision neck cases. As a resident, I used them a lot more - ED myringotomies for the burn patients going to hyperbarics, cases with attendings who used theirs for necks, etc.

I don't do thyroids anymore, but when I did, I didn't have any trouble seeing the parathyroids or RLN with my internal loupes. ;)

They are easy to see when attached to the thyroid specimen on the back table. Zing!

I don't do thyroids anymore, but when I did, I didn't have any trouble seeing the parathyroids or RLN with my internal loupes. ;)

It's pretty easy through an 8cm incision :smuggrin: