Anking after Step 1

bGMx

He moʻolelo ia e hoʻopau ai i ka moʻolelo holoʻoko
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions on strategies after Step 1. Currently an M2 and I've done the full anking deck since day 32 of M1, I have 27000 cards matured between anki and my own cards. When I get to the other side of step 1, I want to focus on clerkships and completing my personal research goals (1st author, several other second author projects). I've been thinking about how to approach anki on the other side-- what have y'all decided to do?

I think I want to suspend everything except pharm and psych, and then work through the M2/M3 decks that are included in the big anking deck. Also will remove my max interval and set a max card limit to 100-200 daily. Hopefully that doesn't FUBAR my intervals/work I've invested. It's hard for me to imagine giving this up but I also can't wait to not see another card again.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a break from Anking after step 1 until I started clerkship then I would start doing the cards relevant for each clerkship from the Anking step 2 deck. Then When it came time for step 2, I just searched hierarchal tags based off UWorld questions. I didnt do the whole deck this way but I still did well on shelf exams and step 2. It definitely felt weird to stop but it was sooooo nice

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the same position as you, OP, but from reading SDN/reddit, I haven't heard of anyone keeping up reviews from the STEP 1 deck. Obviously there is some overlap in the step 1 and step 2 anking cards, and it sounds like most people will suspend the step1 cards that are not tagged in step2. I'm not sure if the time/effort commitment of staying up on pharm and psych reviews from step 1 would be worth the return, but maybe others can answer that.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a LOT of overlap between the step 1 and step 2 decks. I personally don’t think there’s any reason to continue studying step 1 cards. Most of it is minutia that won’t be necessary to carry long term anyway. Anything that is important to retain will show up in the step 2 deck.

Thanks for the responses and moving this to the correct forum-- bumping for more input