Anesthesiologist Assistant Personal Statement, please help me improve it. Thank you!:)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylaeliz

Reaction score
“Granny do you have any boiled peanuts for me today?”, I would say as ran into my granny’s house. The smile on her face when I would come to visit was priceless. The summer going into my freshman year of high school, I took a trip to visit my granny. My dad had informed me she was not doing well and that she had a caregiver living with her. As I ran into her house with arms wide open ready to give her the biggest hug, she just stared at me, her contagious smile was no longer there. I will never forget the moment I looked into her eyes and she did not know who I was. The feelings I felt in that moment are indescribable. My heart was shattered, and I felt like my world had fallen apart. She had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease and it was only going to worsen. I would go with her to every doctors appointment I could. I would wait for the doctor to come in and give me even the littlest of hope that she would be okay. She moved in with my grandmother, so she could care for and watch over her. I visited about twice a week until one day she thought I was a stranger trying to break into the house. I sat there, crying while my grandmother calmed her down. The disease eventually took over completely and caused other complications. She passed away about a year later. My granny was my hero, my best friend, and my mentor. To have a loved one not remember who you are or even your name, is something I would not wish on anyone. My granny always told me that the most fulfilling life is one where you are able to make a difference and those words will resonate with me forever. Bishop T.D Jakes once said “If you can’t figure out you purpose, figure out your passion. For your passion will lead you right into your purpose.” I may not have know my purpose yet and still do not, but from the day my granny passed I knew my passion lied within the medical field. Watching my granny’s physicians do everything they could to try and help her was inspiring. I needed to know more, I wanted to see what working in the medical field was all about.

Fast forward to my sophomore year of college, I began shadowing physicians, CAAs, and nurse anesthetists. I wanted to get exposure to the medical field. Most of my exposure to the profession has occurred within the areas of surgery and anesthesia. After about a month of shadowing I had an experience that solidified my decision to pursue a career in the medical field. It was a typical day in the OR, I got the opportunity to watch a coronary artery bypass graft surgery. The surgeon finished, and I stayed with the CAA while they woke the patient up. Not long after, the patient began hemorrhaging and had to be reopened. Seeing all the medical staff work together to solve a problem and essentially save a life was an incredible experience. As a team player, I was amazed as they exemplified excellent teamwork and leadership skills, both which are essential to the medical field. The best part was when the family was notified about the complication and told their loved one was going to be just fine. In that situation I saw just how essential CAAs are in surgery and how big of an impact they have on the patients care. The CAA was able to get the patient stable in order for the surgeon to perform the operation needed. I began shadowing an Anesthesiologist as well as CAAs to learn more about anesthesia. Upon shadowing, I saw firsthand just how involved and dedicated the CAAs were to their patients. They were not just concerned about the patients during surgery, but the patients as a whole. They were present before, during, and after surgery to ensure the patient received their vital information and felt at ease about their surgery.

As I talked to many CAAs, my interest in the career grew more and more. I knew that if I continued on this journey of becoming an anesthesiologist assistant, my life would be filled with rewarding moments like the ones I experienced the CAAs have. The more shadowing experience I gain and the more research I do, I am confident that I can operate as an essential component to the medical field. Upon doing my research, I understand that becoming an anesthesiologist assistant is a rigorous curriculum and am prepared to fully commit myself. To have the opportunity to make a difference in at least one person’s life is why I have chosen to pursue this life path.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.