Anesthesia toxicity-Marcaine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smilemaker100

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did the first week of my anesthesia rotation for my GPR program and came across this case which kind of boggled my mind. Maybe I am just an idiot, but in any case here goes...

The patient in question had a severe wrist fracture which had to be "reduced" surgically. The anesthesiologist used this relatively new ultrasound technology (really cool!) in which he detected the subclavian artery (which shows up as a red hot spot on the ultrasound)as a reference point to detect the brachial plexus (to do a shoulder nerve block). As a local anesthetic, he used a combination of approximately 25ml of a 0.5% bupivacaine epi 1:400 000 solution and 25ml of 0.25% bupivacaine epi 1: 400 000 solution (a total of 50ml!!!!). The rationale for this was to delay post-operative pain for about 48 hours. The patient subsequently went under general anesthesia for the surgical reduction.

Doesn't all that anesthetic have some sort of deletirious systemic effects? The maximum recommended dose of marcaine (bupivacaine 0.5% with epinephrine 1: 200 000) is 1.3mg/kg -absolute max is 90mg. Maybe I should have asked the anesthesiologist...sometimes I simply ask too many questions so I didn't dare. In any case, any answers out there? Has anyone used bupivacaine as a dental student/dentist( implants or other surgeries?post-op pain management)? I haven't used it yet.

Members don't see this ad.

It's kind of interesting because for dental procedures the maximum recommended dose is 90mg (which is much less than the 187.5mg given to this patient), but for local anesthesia to other areas of the body you can give 15-30mL of either .25% or .5% up to a total dosage of 175mg of the bupivacaine. I have to admit that I don't know why, unless it just has to do with a larger volume of tissue being able to deal with a larger volume of anesthetic without having toxicity problems. With an average half life of 2.7 hours, and soft tissue anesthesia in the range of 1.5 to 8.5 hours, you could really take away some pain though.
:D

grtuck