Anatomy Prep Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medicine016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into getting an Anatomy book to supplement my studies as an M1. I've heard great things about Netters. I see that the 6th edition is widely available and it seems there is a 7th edition on the way, if not already available.

Does it make a difference to have the most recent edition? Is it worthwhile to buy an older edition and save the $ or would this put me at a disadvantage somehow?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking into getting an Anatomy book to supplement my studies as an M1. I've heard great things about Netters. I see that the 6th edition is widely available and it seems there is a 7th edition on the way, if not already available.

Does it make a difference to have the most recent edition? Is it worthwhile to buy an older edition and save the $ or would this put me at a disadvantage somehow?

I suppose you should compare both versions if you want a more objective answer, but I'm pretty sure not much has changed about the human anatomy since the last edition was released, so I think you'll be fine with an older edition.

Btw, I liked color atlas of anatomy. Amazon product
It uses photographs of cadavers instead of illustrations. I thought it was helpful for the lab portion. A simple radiology anatomy book could also be helpful.

Last edited:
Either edition is fine. I prefer the Thieme one over Netters but it's a personal preference. regardless of which you get... make sure to get this: Amazon product

Just trust me on it.

edit: don't think the link worked.. amazon > Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Flashcards

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Either edition is fine. I prefer the Thieme one over Netters but it's a personal preference. regardless of which you get... make sure to get this: Amazon product

Just trust me on it.

edit: don't think the link worked.. amazon > Rohen's Photographic Anatomy Flashcards

Thank you! What do you like best about the Anatomy Flash cards you recommended?

Between Netters, Thieme and Rohen, I would go with Rohen. Real cadaver pictures make a huge difference on practical exams and during dissection. I use the Rohen atlas and their flashcards, and it has been great so far.

Thank you! What do you like best about the Anatomy Flash cards you recommended?

They're flashcards of actual cadavers so you're seeing pinned structures. And each card has 6 or so pinned structures with a clinical correlate so i would take them into the gym with me and during any cardio or cycling I would run through them. They're a must have