American FMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Behcet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping I could get some info here for a friend of mine who is an American (born and raised here) who is at a carribean med school and will be applying as an FMG for psych next year. He has no idea what caliber of programs he should apply to or what programs he has a shot at getting. Can anybody help me out and let me know what kind of programs that you know of have any current residents who are American FMGs? Will he be able to go to a large university program or should he focus on smaller, lesser known programs? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i would be curious to hear some responses on this topic as well. bump.

I'm just a 3rd year, but since the residents haven't piped in on this, I thought I would. It is my understanding that psychiatry programs are essentially wide open except for the most prestigious programs. Meaning, as long as you have fair numbers and your interview goes well, you shouldn't have any trouble getting into a good program. I think that goes for US as well as international grads, because psych for some reason is not very popular. I'm pretty sure that the program at Temple (where I am a student) has american and foreign IMGs, and I think that is true for many university programs.

kcrd, i am also a 3rd year at temple, going into psych. who are u? what electives did u sign up for next yr? drop me a line at rgopalan at temple.