MD Am I completely out of luck for IM residency in US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ismailishak

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Straight to the point. NON-US İMG

I repeated my first year at med school. In my country med school is 6 years. 3 years pre/clinic - 3 years clinic.

My father, mother and elder sister had a serious health problems at the same time and it was a very tough year for us mentally and financially.
I know it wasn't an excuse but I couldn't stand it that year so I failed and had to repeat

I am a 3rd year now and my cGPA is 3,54. I do very well in school now. Am I comptely DOA for IM residency in US even if i had good USMLE points?

I passed with 3,25 in that repeat year. Here is my transcript

Topluluk Tarafından Doğrulandı simgesi

image.png

Topluluk Tarafından Doğrulandı simgesi

Members don't see this ad.

The FMGs who are able to get into residencies in the US tend to be grads of some of the best med school sin the world (Cambridge, Heidelberg, etc).

With your track record, unlikely. Very sorry to hear of your woes. Best way to take care of your family is to take care of yourself first.

Reactions: 1 user
These types of questions are impossible to answer. Failing a year is certainly not going to help. If you actually have a good performance now, do well on the USMLE, get US experience with good US LOR's, might a program be willing to give you a chance? Maybe. Much depends on how well you do from now forward.

You should have a Plan B. Trying to match in the US, and working as a physician in your home country if that's not possible is a perfectly logical option. If your plan is working in the US or nothing, then going to this school was a bad idea to begin with, even before you failed anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The FMGs who are able to get into residencies in the US tend to be grads of some of the best med school sin the world (Cambridge, Heidelberg, etc).

With your track record, unlikely. Very sorry to hear of your woes. Best way to take care of your family is to take care of yourself first.
Do program directors will be auto filtering me because of this?
some say they don't care preclinical years.

If i get an IV and explain why i repeat a year it is still impossible?

What about patho?

And i know doctors from my school graduate who got match in us ( my school is at the top 5 at turkey, top 500 in the world, Ankara University,) or other schools that it's rank below my school

Good scores, hometown residency and research, good lors can be my chance?

Last edited:
I completely agree with @NotAProgDirector . None of us really understand how your school works so it' impossible to compare your academic performance against grads from US schools. So while failing a year certainly doesn't help, if you do well on the other pieces that are easier to compare (ie USMLE and US clinical experience), then you may have a shot. But those are two incredibly difficult hurdles in and of themselves.

Reactions: 1 users
I completely agree with @NotAProgDirector . None of us really understand how your school works so it' impossible to compare your academic performance against grads from US schools. So while failing a year certainly doesn't help, if you do well on the other pieces that are easier to compare (ie USMLE and US clinical experience), then you may have a shot. But those are two incredibly difficult hurdles in and of themselves.
Sir,
My dream is to work in America.
When I read the comments like "you will never be able to enter", my motivation is so low that I can't even open a book.
I failed first my year not that don't understand basic sciences, because of my family's health. So i believe in myself that i can pass those two hurdles.
When i pass those hurdles is it impossible to match im? And will i be auto filtered cause of this

Sir,
My dream is to work in America.
When I read the comments like "you will never be able to enter", my motivation is so low that I can't even open a book.
I failed first my year not that don't understand basic sciences, because of my family's health. So i believe in myself that i can pass those two hurdles.
When i pass those hurdles is it impossible to match im? And will i be auto filtered cause of this
I think I answered your question--none of us are really going to know what it means that you repeated a year at your school. There are probably some programs that would pass over you, but if you otherwise have a good application you could give your application a look.

I must caution you--you have a good reason why you failed, but ultimately having a good excuse isn't going to help you if the ultimate result is subpar. If there is some similar extenuating circumstance that prevents you from doing well on the USMLE or obtaining US clinical experience, nobody is going to give you the benefit of the doubt. They will simply take another applicant who performed better than you did. Life does not pause just because you are in medical school, so while it is absolutely understandable that you did what you needed to do to take care of your family... you do eventually need to figure out how to perform at the level that will get you to achieve your goals regardless of whatever is going on in your personal life.

Reactions: 3 users
I think I answered your question--none of us are really going to know what it means that you repeated a year at your school. There are probably some programs that would pass over you, but if you otherwise have a good application you could give your application a look.

I must caution you--you have a good reason why you failed, but ultimately having a good excuse isn't going to help you if the ultimate result is subpar. If there is some similar extenuating circumstance that prevents you from doing well on the USMLE or obtaining US clinical experience, nobody is going to give you the benefit of the doubt. They will simply take another applicant who performed better than you did. Life does not pause just because you are in medical school, so while it is absolutely understandable that you did what you needed to do to take care of your family... you do eventually need to figure out how to perform at the level that will get you to achieve your goals regardless of whatever is going on in your personal life.
Well i don't say i have reasons to low usmle scores, i said i have reasons to repeating a year.

All i am asking is having USCE and good USMLE SCORES, do i have chance for internal medicine?

Well i don't say i have reasons to low usmle scores, i said i have reasons to repeating a year.

All i am asking is having USCE and good USMLE SCORES, do i have chance for internal medicine?
Again, I believe @NotAProgDirector and I answered your question :) If you do everything right from this point forward, it's possible you could have a shot. But none of us really know for sure, or how well you need to do from here forward.

I know you don't have low USMLE scores, but my point was that in the future when you are studying for the USMLE and auditioning with USCE, you will need to have a plan to succeed regardless of whatever is happening in your personal life at the moment.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users