Am I Competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

McAllenHopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This isn't one of those posts where I know I am and just was my ego stroked. I'm really not sure right now whether or not I am. Here's my skinny:

-GPA 3.6 from a public school...not top 50
-Step 1 - 231
-I did research in undergrad but nothing in med school; I can do some 4th year though
-Some community service mentoring kids for a couple years (I'm still considering Peds)
-I'm pretty sure I can get good letters

Please let me know what all of you think...truthfully; good or bad. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Id say it all depends on how limitted you are in terms of location... And I would definitely get started doing some oto research as soon as you can (I did some during third year of medical school-- hard to do, but still possible). GOOD LUCK!!!

I would say: "possibly."

You have a decent GPA. Your Step I scores are below the mean of what it has been for the past several years (mean around 234). You didn't say how well you did in your surgery or medicine rotations. You don't have any research as a medical student.

I've been interviewing medical students for the last 3 years. To be truthful, most of them have board scores in the 230-250 range, with most of them being around 240. I haven't looked at a single applicant in the last three years who HASN'T done research during their medical school years. Many of them have recommendations for very well-known otolaryngologists. Almost all of them are AOA. I really don't look into community service -- unless for some reason that person has done a LOT of community service (Peace Corps, run shelters, established this and that).

So, what I recommend you do is start doing some research. Make sure you get letters from ENT people. Unless you're getting a recommendation from Sabiston, or Debakey (is he still alive?), then recs from general surgeons might not mean too much. Sadly, much of this is a game: who do you know? Do away rotations. In your case, do your rotations at middle tier programs you might like so that they will get to know you and possibly want you as one of their residents. \

nb

McAllenHopeful said:
This isn't one of those posts where I know I am and just was my ego stroked. I'm really not sure right now whether or not I am. Here's my skinny:

-GPA 3.6 from a public school...not top 50
-Step 1 - 231
-I did research in undergrad but nothing in med school; I can do some 4th year though
-Some community service mentoring kids for a couple years (I'm still considering Peds)
-I'm pretty sure I can get good letters

Please let me know what all of you think...truthfully; good or bad. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
neutropeniaboy said:
I would say: "possibly."

You have a decent GPA. Your Step I scores are below the mean of what it has been for the past several years (mean around 234). You didn't say how well you did in your surgery or medicine rotations. You don't have any research as a medical student.

I've been interviewing medical students for the last 3 years. To be truthful, most of them have board scores in the 230-250 range, with most of them being around 240. I haven't looked at a single applicant in the last three years who HASN'T done research during their medical school years. Many of them have recommendations for very well-known otolaryngologists. Almost all of them are AOA. I really don't look into community service -- unless for some reason that person has done a LOT of community service (Peace Corps, run shelters, established this and that).

So, what I recommend you do is start doing some research. Make sure you get letters from ENT people. Unless you're getting a recommendation from Sabiston, or Debakey (is he still alive?), then recs from general surgeons might not mean too much. Sadly, much of this is a game: who do you know? Do away rotations. In your case, do your rotations at middle tier programs you might like so that they will get to know you and possibly want you as one of their residents. \

nb

Thank you for your honesty! As far as my surgery and medicine grades, I received an A in Surgery and got the highest grade in my clerkship group on the shelf exam. I start Medicine in March. Does this help my chances at all?