Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm a first generation Bangladeshi-American. My parents are from Bangladesh, and I was born in Philadelphia. I grew up in Lansdowne, which is a working class community but has one of the worst school districts (William Penn School District) in PA. I was fortunate to get a full ride to a boarding school that focuses on under-represented students in exton, PA from 12-18. My family's income is <35,000 and my father is a cook at a diner/ mom stays home-- neither went to school and I'm the first person in my family to graduate high school/college. Would I be considered an URM with these circumstances, or am I ORM because I fall under "Asian/Indian " in the demographic portion of the application. Identity is confusing! Any insight is appreciated-- thank you.
Technically, the definition is very squishy. Read here: Underrepresented in Medicine Definition

Practically speaking, URM generally refers to the four racial/ethnic groups at the bottom: Blacks, Mexican-Americans, Native Americans, and mainland Puerto Ricans. Most likely I would recommend that you not consider yourself a URM.

However, you do have the option of considering yourself "disadvantaged," and based on your background you could consider that: https://www.usnews.com/education/bl...o-be-a-disadvantaged-medical-school-applicant

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.