albumin and furosemide drip

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baronzb

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What rate and concentrations and for what indications is this combination drug run? Also, what does one need to know about the 5% and 25% albumin as far as rate, indication and concentration are concerned? Thank you for your support.

Members don't see this ad.

Likely being used for diuretic resistant ascites. Typically 25g of 25% albumin q8hrs for that indication, infused over 1 hour. As for the lasix, 100mg in 100ml is pretty standard concentration, but you can also concentrate more if you want. Rate anywhere from 5mg-80mg/hr, depending on response and tolerance.

Likely being used for diuretic resistant ascites. Typically 25g of 25% albumin q8hrs for that indication, infused over 1 hour. As for the lasix, 100mg in 100ml is pretty standard concentration, but you can also concentrate more if you want. Rate anywhere from 5mg-80mg/hr, depending on response and tolerance.

it's running really slow, about 22mg/hour, meaning furosemide 250mg and albumin 5% 250ml bottle, running continuously for 12 hr.

also, what is the dosing and frequency for heart failure and shock? The resources I have are spotty. Thanks

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
also used when a patient is third spacing. the albumin pulls the fluid intracellular then the lasix helps you pee it out - it is a delicate balancing act. The 5% wouldn't be used in this case thou

Reactions: 1 user
also used when a patient is third spacing. the albumin pulls the fluid intracellular then the lasix helps you pee it out - it is a delicate balancing act. The 5% wouldn't be used in this case thou

What rate and bolus for that indication?

Is that the only time 25% is used? I thought it was also used if there was volume issue?

I am seeing 5% albumin in 250ml continuous at 16.5ml/hr after a 25gm 5% bolus,
I am also seeing a 25% bolus not for ascites.

I am seeing 5% albumin in 250ml continuous at 16.5ml/hr after a 25gm 5% bolus,
I am also seeing a 25% bolus not for ascites.
You can read the doctor's/team's note who is taking care of the patient. Better idea, why don't you just ask the doctor who ordered it what his or her intention was?

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user