Advise on starting the journey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drdarkmatter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello, I am an IMG who has completed graduation in 2013. I completed my residency in general surgery in 2017. Since then I am gaining experience in the field of surgical oncology at one of the premier institutes of my country. I have been thinking about practising medicine in the US for a long time but financial constraints have stopped me. I believe now I am in a good position. I am ready to change my field. I have a few queries
1. If I clear usmle, will I get any match in any field(realistically)?
2. Will the time gap between my graduation year and getting ECFMG certification going to be an issue?
3. Will my postgraduate and current clinical experience along with my published papers add any advantage to my portfolio?
4. Basic study resources for Step 1. I have First Aid, zanki, pathoma, goljan. What else will be needed?

Members don't see this ad.

What residency you want to do? General surgery?

1. Can't answer that questions until you take your step 1/step 2 CS/step 2 CK
2. Well your background kinda explained that so Idt it is red flag
3. yes
4. UWORLD, NBME practice test. Know those inside out you should get at least 240-250.

Overall, for IMG, ACE step 1 and 2 and if possible, find an institution in US (preferably a well known high volume pub ones) and do research year(s). Keep in mind step 1 will be changing to P/F soon...so you will be down to one option to do well...which is step 2.

What residency you want to do? General surgery?

1. Can't answer that questions until you take your step 1/step 2 CS/step 2 CK
2. Well your background kinda explained that so Idt it is red flag
3. yes
4. UWORLD, NBME practice test. Know those inside out you should get at least 240-250.

Overall, for IMG, ACE step 1 and 2 and if possible, find an institution in US (preferably a well known high volume pub ones) and do research year(s). Keep in mind step 1 will be changing to P/F soon...so you will be down to one option to do well...which is step 2.

Thank you for your reply. I couldn't understand "find an institution in the US (preferably a well known high volume pub ones) and do research year(s)" Do you mean get experience as a research assistant in some good institute while preparing?

Well research experience in US ONLY is needed if you want to match into a competitive specialty. That is why I asked what you want to match into.