advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
G

Gwendolyn

Hi,
I am interested in MD/PHD program;howerver, my MCAT is around average. I have worked in the lab about more than 2 years and had one publication. Do I have a chance to get in MD/Phd program? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The truth is no body knows. Why don't you go ahead and apply, try your best and we'll see?

As stated for umpteen times, somes got in with lower stats while others didn't get in with greater stats. Try not to compare yourself with anyone 'cause each of us is unique. Personally, yes, I think you have a shot, but we're almost as clueless as you are.

Apply to a wide range of schools and pray for the next 11 months.

RT

One thing to realize is that for MSTP there seems to be a pronounced threshold effect with MCAT scores. As long as they are good enough, then that hurdle no longer matter, and they move on to your research. As for what "good enough" means, that varies by school, but in general mid-30's have little problem, I have a friend at Stanford who had a 33, etc., etc. If that is what you mean by average, then don't worry. If you mean a little lower than that, then I'm sure there are programs that you'll fit right into, as well.

As has been said, give it a shot, and be sure to concentrate on really knowing your stuff when it comes to research.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's "around average"? The thing you have to realize is that it is really the whole application that is looked at in admissions. Letters of recommendation are very important (several times I had interviewers comment on my letters). So is the MSTP essay and personal statement. And extracurricular activities. The bottom line is that they want unique individuals who have a strong committment to science and medicine, who are motivated, and who can present themselves as intelligent, thoughtful people that can communicate effectively.

Apply! You just won't know until you do and if you don't get into MD/PhD right away, apply as an internal applicant and you'll have much better chances.

Thanks for all of you. My concern is that my MCAT scores are lower than 30. I really don't know if I will have a chance or not. I guess I just need to apply it and do my best. Thanks!

I would say be sure to beef up your application in other areas so that your MCATs are counterbalanced by strengths in other areas. Also, apply to a variety of programs. Good luck! :D