This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kyrios00

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to get admitted into to tcom but I have a dilemma. My cgpa is a 3.4 sgpa3.1 I need to retake the mcat. I just got admitted into a nursing bsn program that is a year and 4 months long. I am really contemplating dropping out and applying to unthsc masters program of medical science with hopes of getting admitted into Tcom after the program. If I don't do the program I plan to work as a nurse in a icu after graduation corn 1.5 years , retake mcat after graduation and apply to tcom after gaining some clinical experience. I shadowed a do and I have good LOR. I would appreciate Any advice. Both paths are a risk. Nursing gives me the opportunity to work and save money for medical school while the unthsc program results in me burning bridges and dropping out with no guaranteed position.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If medical school is what you want to do, I wouldn't do nursing. 3.4 GPA is fine for DO schools but I've heard that TCOM is very picky (their stats are on the highest of all the MD schools in Texas, including Baylor) which is very weird for a DO school. Any particular reason you want to go there? THere are other good DO schools in TX.

The doctor I shadowed is a graduate of tcom. My gap is ok but my undergrads sgpa has some B's and a few C's so I would have to do a postbac and tcom has a 1 year postbac program so I would most likely have to do it to show I could handle the course work I would be presented with in medical school.