advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhopeful08

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i'll be entering med school next fall, and am very interested in the field of radiation oncology? what suggestions do you have for an incoming 1st year?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

start getting ready to ace step one; aslo squeeze in relevant basic sci or clinical research now with an aim to get your name on some papers.
good luck!
steph

thanks steph.

what sorts of things do residency directors look for? is it mostly research and USMLE scores?

it sounds totally different from the med school admissions process (where they look at the "whole package" - volunteer experiences, etc.)

how can i best be exposed to the field early on in my med school career?

also - how many spots are there available in the US per year?

thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
looking for: to a certain extent, the "whole package." but, USMLE step 1 score is often used as a cut off for interviews. so you can have all the package you want, but if you score below average on step 1 (or whatever the cut off is at each place), you won't get an interview. similarly, many places use research experience/publications as a cut off for interviews.

early exposure: shadowing (like applying for med school). research would be highly recommended.

about 100 spots each year available. about 300 applicants. very very competitive. but an early start is definitely advantageous.

good luck.

having been on the "other side" here and seeing applicants come through I cant tell you that while strong USMNLEs are de rideur now, not all (or even many) programs use strict cut-offs. Dont focus on a number but overall doing well.
steph

another question --

does the field require a strong background in math/physics? or does one normally pick these things up during training/residency?

nah its all part of the training. Its not hard p hysics; just a course you'll have in training. If you have a med physics background all the better but you dont need it. Not a lot of math. more concepts iwth some basic math.

stephew (and other rad onc docs)

can you tell descibe how rad onc residency training is?
is there alot of material to be learned? what attracted you to this field?

thanks!

Rad onc is quite different in training than many other specialites as what you do the first year is very new to most, even those who've done a good elective in it. Yes, there is a lot of learning; its extremely academic and evidence based. You learn alot about the surgeries and medical approaches as well since you incorporate them into your plan. Basically its "surgical" in approach. There is also physics and radiobiology which are mandatory classes; they arent really hard just something to plug your way through. The clinical onc is the densest portion and your first inservice will be an exhausting expereince. But its all par for the course.
steph

hi steph,

thanks for all you very helpful replies. if you don't mind sharing, what attracted you to the field of radiation oncology? why is the field so competitive?

I like the patient interaction, that its academic and there is a lot of clinical research to be done, and as to why its competitive, I cant be sure but my personal theory is that we're finally graduating a generation of doctors not just comfortable with technology but who enjoy it. but that's just my guess.
S