Advice? Stick with research or quit to exclusively study mcat this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaishai1926

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im going into my senior year starting in the fall and planning on taking the mcat early september. I finished research and my own independent project after this last semester and now have the oppurtunity to publish. The thing is the post doc my PI assigned to me is unreliable( separate story, he is extremely unreliable, is the reason I have to work on this manuscript now instead of having finished my experiments earlier and having completed the majority of it before summer started, really pissed me off, should have talked to my pI about it, again not a rant, but the truth, anyways whats done is done).

Anyway, i find myself working on mcat stuff( currently on content review phase) the whole day, a good portion of my day where I feel like I really dont have time to be working on this paper. I dont need to go into lab, I told my PI i wasnt going to be on campus in the summer, but working on the paper after mentally draining myself with this mcat stuff, I literally dread it, even if its just 30min-an hour at the end of the day, just the thought of working on it just is something I dont want to do. But maybe im being weak.

The lab experience sucked as well, my postdoc and the task given to me by my PI took way more time that I had available, still did it, but I was only able to handle it because I took one lesser class this last semester. The reason I did that to study more for the mcat, and because of lab it took considerable chunk off that.

My PI says I'll get a first author paper, but I feel like with all the edits and editing which will be required, it will take time off my precious mcat studying, something I can only take in september. I talked to my PI, he wants me to publish asap, but really he just wants it his way, he makes publishing/writing a manuscript is seem easy but the other postdocs in my lab tell me how really long a progress it is, and my PI wouldnt allow me to postpone this until september even tho i told him my situation.

Lol sorry for the long background, but my question is
Is publishing a first author paper really worth it?, should I just leave and focus all my time on the mcat? Am i being weak( was going to say a different word, but not sure if Im allowed to say it on this forum)

Members don't see this ad.

A first-author paper is nice but doing well on the MCAT is far more important. And no, that's not an unreasonable thing to think about. I would make sure you're where you want to be with the MCAT before putting significant time towards the paper. A poor MCAT can absolutely kill a med school application while the absence of a first author paper will most certainly not.

Being three months out from you exam is about where you should really be putting together a good study plan and sticking to it. Push the paper back. You never know how long that will take to get done, if ever.