Advice Regarding C/O 2019 DO Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful2015

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a question regarding some advice I recently received from an ortho doc. Background: I'm a third year DO student with 260+ step 1, 750+ level 1, and two posters (non-ortho).

As of right now I'd graduate in 2019, a year before the merger. This doctor I've been talking to (MD) told me I should take a year off between 3rd and 4th year to do one of those year out orthopedic research fellowships, then apply in 2020 when its a unified match so that I can apply to all the ACGME programs without losing AOA programs as backup. He told me if I was looking to be involved in academics in my career I needed to aim at ACGME programs. He said AOA programs will push you in the direction of being a community surgeon, and that it would only be one year where I'd get to learn/do a lot in orthopedics.

My question is, what do you guys think of his advice? Is it true that going to an AOA residency will limit my career options in academics? Would those research fellowships elevate my application to a degree that I would realistically get an ACGME residency or would I still be turned down for being an osteopathic student? Would there be enough AOA programs participating in the NRMP match that I wouldn't need to wait a year anyway?

Would appreciate any and all input.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding some advice I recently received from an ortho doc. Background: I'm a third year DO student with 260+ step 1, 750+ level 1, and two posters (non-ortho).

As of right now I'd graduate in 2019, a year before the merger. This doctor I've been talking to (MD) told me I should take a year off between 3rd and 4th year to do one of those year out orthopedic research fellowships, then apply in 2020 when its a unified match so that I can apply to all the ACGME programs without losing AOA programs as backup. He told me if I was looking to be involved in academics in my career I needed to aim at ACGME programs. He said AOA programs will push you in the direction of being a community surgeon, and that it would only be one year where I'd get to learn/do a lot in orthopedics.

My question is, what do you guys think of his advice? Is it true that going to an AOA residency will limit my career options in academics? Would those research fellowships elevate my application to a degree that I would realistically get an ACGME residency or would I still be turned down for being an osteopathic student? Would there be enough AOA programs participating in the NRMP match that I wouldn't need to wait a year anyway?

Would appreciate any and all input.

Sound advice if you want to pursue academics. But even most MDs end up as community surgeons.

Going AOA will for sure limit academic opportunities. The top heavy fellowships recruit residents from academic programs with strong research background, and DO programs are not research heavy. Although things are changing and with merger looming, more and more DO programs are now making research a priority.

A research fellowship will open some doors but you'll likely still be looked at as an inferior applicant compared to most MD applicants, IMO.

Currently there are five DO programs that have achieved ACGME initial accreditation, but that doesn't mean they are on even level with other MD programs. As more DO programs remidiate their deficiencies, there will be more programs gaining initial accreditation.

Something to add, it's easier to go academics if you do a peds/trauma/tumor/F&A fellowships.

Sound advice if you want to pursue academics. But even most MDs end up as community surgeons.

Going AOA will for sure limit academic opportunities. The top heavy fellowships recruit residents from academic programs with strong research background, and DO programs are not research heavy. Although things are changing and with merger looming, more and more DO programs are now making research a priority.

A research fellowship will open some doors but you'll likely still be looked at as an inferior applicant compared to most MD applicants, IMO.

Currently there are five DO programs that have achieved ACGME initial accreditation, but that doesn't mean they are on even level with other MD programs. As more DO programs remidiate their deficiencies, there will be more programs gaining initial accreditation.

Something to add, it's easier to go academics if you do a peds/trauma/tumor/F&A fellowships.
8 programs now have initial accreditation!