advice please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amy

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school senior who has been accepted into 2 seven-year bs/do program affiliated with NYCOM. I can either do my undergraduate work at SUNY New Paltz or NYIT. I have also been admitted to a Pharmacy program at Rutgers. Does anyone have any comments or advice about what I should do?

Members don't see this ad.

Amy, you sound like one of those sickening overacheivers
wink.gif
Just kidding, Most of us here are biased for the 7 year DO program. My life has been revolved around getting into medical school the last few years. I got down and kissed the ground when I was accepted (no not really). I was once at Purdue for pharmacy. I did not like it, and got out of pharmacy. It will often times be a very mundane job. But, this is my opinion. You have to ask yourself whether you really want to be a physician or not, and whether you want to be a DO. You could go to college, and then apply to DO or MD medical schools, but you have an ideal situation, if you are SURE you know what you want to do. Sounds to me like you're not, if you're asking about pharmacy. Good luck, you have a tough decision to make.

Amy,
While the idea of knowing in advance that you are accepted to medical school before even starting college would definately decrease the stress and it would be exciting to consider. I would only say don't get yourself into something that you are not sure of. I don't how this program works but I would say try to get some early medical exposure and exposure to other interests so you don't find out several years into the game that it isn't what you want.

Good-Luck
Carrie

Remember to enjoy you undergrad work, if possible, and explore all of your educational opportunities during this time before you settle down and work for the rest of your life.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, I believe in a 7 year program, they reguire you to finish all require classes in 3 years and maintain certain GPA.

Second, unless you are very determined to be a doctor, it is going to be very tough. College is a time to explore your interest and to open your eyes to see a larger world. There are people waiting for you to meet and activity waiting for you to participate. In a 7 year program, will make you to sacrifice some of those element of college life.

Third, a 7 year program is not a guarantee admission of medical school. You need to maintain the required GPA!. Personally, I believe this is more stressful.

So ask yourself a very BIG question. "Can I handle the stress and let go a lot of fun time in college?"

Good luck

Amy,

First of all...CONGRATULATIONS!! You should be very proud of your achievements, esp at such a young age. My hat's off to you! I'm one of those late-bloomers...will be 33 when I start med-school this fall.

However, you should read a thread I have started in my forum: 'Everyone,' entitled: "A recent AMA survey."

You know, becoming a physician is a life-long committment to what be simultaneously the most rewarding and potentially personally destructive of professions. Yes, you are involved in helping people in need and that is WONDERFUL!! But, you're also considering entering a profession that has among the highest divorce, suicide and substance abuse rates...fully 39% of practicing Docs [per the AMA survey] would not have become physicians has they had all to do over again. It's a stressful way to make a living!!

I'm not saying any of this to encourage or to scare you away. I just really feel you should VERY carefully research if this really where you want to go with your life. I did not firmly commit myself to this route until my mid-20s, even though I had always thought about becoming a Doc.

Your Ugrad years are some of the most important years. You will truly begin to develop into the person you will be as an adult. Therefore, it is imperitive that you really "Experience" the world around you and explore your options.

If after all that, you still wish to become a Doc, I know all of us already there will welcome you. However, if you chose to pursue a completely different path, we will support, with equal fervor, that decision as well.

The take-home message from this rambling post is: Do you what makes you happiest!

Best of luck and success to you in life!

smile.gif

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Comments: GREAT JOB!!!
Advice: Very simple. At your age, you have plenty of time to make the decisions that will lead to your future. Don't feel too much pressure now! Do what feels right, even if it means that you aren't guaranteed a spot in med school. I can't count the # of times that I changed my mind about my future while I was in college. Don't sweat it too much now, ANYTHING can happen!

------------------
Phil E. COM 02