Coursework & Fieldwork Advice On What to Study Before Going into OT Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Friscus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm in the midst of completing coursework to get my health sciences degree in order to go into OT. However, the courses I'm taking aren't directed to the human body, some are those courses we all know and love that have little to nothing to do with the actual degree we're going for.

Be that as it may, I was hoping to get a head start and become familiar with the skeletal system and muscular system to start. However, there are different levels of becoming familiar with these, it seems.

There's your basic overview (ex. Mandible)

There's your slightly more complex, pointing out things such as:
Ramus
Mental Foramen
Coronid Process
Angle
Body
Base

Then there's a ton of very detailed things, such as:
Head (caput)
Pterygoid Fossa
Neck
Condylar Process
Notch (incisure)
Lingula
Mandibular foramen
Mylohyoid Groove
Submandibular Fossa
Mylohyoid Line
Oblique Line
Sublingual Fossa
Interalveolar Septa
Alveolar Part (crest)
Mental Protuberance
Mental tubercle

From what I can tell, there's different levels of complexity I can be going into, and I don't want to take on too much and get discouraged. I haven't taken and A & P yet, and haven't really taken any physiology courses.

So, in your opinion, how deep should I go, and where is a good source to find the level of study I should be exploring instead of searching google bone by bone?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on what OT school you will be going to.

At this stage, I would just study whatever you need to do well in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't bother trying to pre-study. It never worked for me from undergrad to OT school. Identifying structures are a pain as teachers will say one thing and the text/netters show something else. Even worse if multiple instructors/assistants.

If you know you will be tested on specific structures in the lab, I guess you can try to identify those structures.

I agree with the person above. How in depth you're required to know depends on the school you go to as well as the professor that teaches it. I would do what you need to in order to do well in your current class, and when the time comes before OT school ENJOY each free moment you have and don't try and pre-study. Your professors will give you all necessary information, and free time is very hard to come by once you start OT school. Good luck!

If anything,most schools require biology as a pre-req before you can take anatomy and physiology. I recommend getting that course out of the way. Also try to take easier classes when you take anatomy so you can put more focus there.

I agree with one of the posts above me. Do not pre-study!!!! Just enjoy your free time while you can. Trust me you will learn it once you get into OT school. Don’t stress it until then, and relax while you can :)

Reactions: 1 user