Advice on next step, cGPA 2.9, MCAT: 509 SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drclueless

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’d like some guidance on what my next step should be in the pursuit of MD/DO.

Sorry if i sound like a robot in this post I just wanna get the point across haha

I am in my last semester of undergrad, graduating with a BS in in Human Physiology.
I slacked off in school and currently have a 2.7 sGPA and a 2.9 cGPA.
I have taken the MCAT once and got a 509.
However, I got a 3.9 last semester while taking 5 upper division science classes.
This semester I am taking 4 science classes and am on track to get near a 4.0

One of the reasons for my low undergraduate GPA besides me not working hard was that I had a major family emergency early in my college career which distracted me from school.
I am a decent writer and have friends who are professional writers so my personal statement and activities section on the AMCAS should be pretty well written.
I am Indian and my parents are pretty well off so I’m not URM in anyway.
I’m also a strong interviewee and have done very well in mock interviews/job interviews
I only mention this because I don’t believe my PS/activities or interview will be a weak point in my application. Not trying to be arrogant

I have about 500+ clinical volunteer hours in a hospital and a elderly rehab center.
Ive been working for a few months as an EMT, and at a psych clinic that works with drug addicts and homeless individuals.
I should be able to write very well about meaningful experiences from these ECs that make me want to be a physician.
I just wanted to mention all that because I really think that my weakest points are my GPA and MCAT, not my ECs, PS, or interview.

I am aware that it will take a lot of work to get my work ethic to be that of a physicians. I do think I am capable if I apply myself.
Would it be more beneficial for me to enroll in an SMP (would any take me with my stats?) or do a DIY post bacc (at Berkeley extension)? And Should I retake my MCAT because I do believe if I apply myself I can do much better.

Any advice would be well appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a moderate upwards trend in your senior year, which is good. You should consider applying to an SMP or a formal post-bac to get your GPA up. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can be competitive for MD with these current stats, but you still have a shot at DO. I would recommend doing a SMP and trying your absolute hardest to get at least a 3.7 (minimum!). A word of caution: SMPs are expensive, and extremely rigorous. As long as you are willing to put in the work, then do an SMP, but if you aren't able to succeed in an SMP, the unfortunate reality is that your chances at an acceptance are shot.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thank you. I appreciate the honesty. Are there different SMPs for those looking to get into DO? And If i enroll in an SMP designed for MD, and do well, will that be able to be used to strengthen my application for DO school? or would DO schools not like that SMP?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I appreciate the honesty. Are there different SMPs for those looking to get into DO? And If i enroll in an SMP designed for MD, and do well, will that be able to be used to strengthen my application for DO school? or would DO schools not like that SMP?

Thank you

An SMP at an MD school will help with both MD and DO acceptances about the same, while an SMP at a DO school will not help as much with MD schools. However, SMPs usually have some sort of relationship with their med school (if they have one) which help your chances at matriculating into that specific med school. I know VCOM has an SMP, and I'm sure there are a few more.

In other words, DO schools will not look at an MD SMP unfavorably, but it might be in your best interest to try and do an SMP at a DO school you can see yourself going to.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if an SMP will accept you with your current statistics. I'm not saying you won't be accepted, I'm just not sure what the typical SMP matriculant's statistics look like.

Ive seen some people on SDN get into SMPs with lower than a 3.0 get accepted, but its extremeley rare :( Ill apply to DO and MD SMPs and hope for the best

If I dont get in, then would you recommend doing post bacc classes to raise my GPA above a 3.0, and then applying to MD/DO SMPs?

Reactions: 1 users
Ive seen some people on SDN get into SMPs with lower than a 3.0 get accepted, but its extremeley rare :( Ill apply to DO and MD SMPs and hope for the best

If I dont get in, then would you recommend doing post bacc classes to raise my GPA above a 3.0, and then applying to MD/DO SMPs?

I think that would be a good plan.

You can do a DIY post bacc at a local college. You need to take enough undergraduate level science courses to raise both your sGPA and cGPA to 3.0 . At that point you should be able to receive interviews at DO schools though you will need to apply broadly to at least 15 schools.

So I just did some calculations and I’d need to take 3 semesters of a 3.7 to get a 3.0 (I already have 130 units). This would mean that id have to wait until the end of the Fall 2020 semester to have a 3.0. If I applied to DO/MD programs this next cycle and submitted my application sometime in between May 2020 to august 2020 , would they take into account my fall 2020 grades, or reject me outright because I wouldn’t have a 3.0 by the time I apply in august.

And if I apply to SMPs this application cycle and submit my application between January 2020 to February 2020, I wont have a 3.0 but would they notice that my last 32 credits (last two semesters) have been basically a 4.0?

I understand that its hard to know definitive answers to these questions if you’re not on the schools Adcom team but any advice is very appreciated :)

Okay I’ll give a couple schools a call. Thank you so much to everyone on this post this helps a lot haha

If you are shooting for MD (and I'd recommend you do so), often we recommend getting your GPA above a 3.0 then doing an SMP. As you alluded to, you will often get screened out otherwise.

Do an MD SMP. Evms, vcu, Georgetown all have strong smps on the east coast but Georgetown may be too competitive for you.

I was in a similar boat a decade ago. Had I chosen to go DO straight out I would have never been able to achieve what I have. It took an extra year but worth it as I wouldn't have ended up in my specialty or my current job without it.

Reactions: 3 users
So I just did some calculations and I’d need to take 3 semesters of a 3.7 to get a 3.0 (I already have 130 units). This would mean that id have to wait until the end of the Fall 2020 semester to have a 3.0. If I applied to DO/MD programs this next cycle and submitted my application sometime in between May 2020 to august 2020 , would they take into account my fall 2020 grades, or reject me outright because I wouldn’t have a 3.0 by the time I apply in august.

And if I apply to SMPs this application cycle and submit my application between January 2020 to February 2020, I wont have a 3.0 but would they notice that my last 32 credits (last two semesters) have been basically a 4.0?

What @Instatewaiter said.

First things first. Show you can drag you GPA over 3.0. Then show you can perform in a SMP. Then you'll have earned a shot.

I understand that its hard to know definitive answers to these questions if you’re not on the schools Adcom team but any advice is very appreciated :)

They will not take into account projected grades. That doesn’t even make sense.
I have no idea what SMPS might do in your situation. If they have a hard cut off then no they won’t care.

Do it right. Get your GPA over 3.0 .0 and then do a SMP with linkage. Why try to cut corners now? There is no rush.

Hello, I’d like some guidance on what my next step should be in the pursuit of MD/DO.

Sorry if i sound like a robot in this post I just wanna get the point across haha

I am in my last semester of undergrad, graduating with a BS in in Human Physiology.
However, I got a 3.9 last semester while taking 5 upper division science classes.

One of the reasons for my low undergraduate GPA besides me not working hard was that I had a major family emergency early in my college career which distracted me from school.
I am a decent writer and have friends who are professional writers so my personal statement and activities section on the AMCAS should be pretty well written.
I’m also a strong interviewee and have done very well in mock interviews/job interviews
I only mention this because I don’t believe my PS/activities or interview will be a weak point in my application. Not trying to be arrogant

I have about 500+ clinical volunteer hours in a hospital and a elderly rehab center.
Ive been working for a few months as an EMT, and at a psych clinic that works with drug addicts and homeless individuals.
I should be able to write very well about meaningful experiences from these ECs that make me want to be a physician.
I just wanted to mention all that because I really think that my weakest points are my GPA and MCAT, not my ECs, PS, or interview.

I am aware that it will take a lot of work to get my work ethic to be that of a physicians. I do think I am capable if I apply myself.
Would it be more beneficial for me to enroll in an SMP (would any take me with my stats?) or do a DIY post bacc (at Berkeley extension)? And Should I retake my MCAT because I do believe if I apply myself I can do much better.

I'd say you need to stay in undergrad until you have your cGPA and sGPA above a 3.0 then do an smp and maybe retake the mcat. Not an adcom so don't put too much stock in what I have to say. I imagine it'll take 2 years to fully reinvent yourself and be competitive for medical school. If it helps any I was in the same situation and thats essentially what I did. Also whatever you do make sure you do not retake your mcat unless your are sure you are going to score at least 5 point higher. Good luck!!

Last edited:

Read my post on premed reinvention

If you are shooting for MD (and I'd recommend you do so), often we recommend getting your GPA above a 3.0 then doing an SMP. As you alluded to, you will often get screened out otherwise.

Do an MD SMP. Evms, vcu, Georgetown all have strong smps on the east coast but Georgetown may be too competitive for you.

I was in a similar boat a decade ago. Had I chosen to go DO straight out I would have never been able to achieve what I have. It took an extra year but worth it as I wouldn't have ended up in my specialty or my current job without it.
May I PM you about one of these schools you mentioned for an SMP?

There is literally an entire forum for these kinds of discussions (ie post bacc). For those who ask about PM'ing me, you are welcome to but I am now almost a decade and a half since I did an SMP so there are those with fresher information than I have.