advice on national health service corps scholarship application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
there's no more interviewing, just a scantron....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm starting to wonder if it's even happening this year...

I called today and they said:

The application is not ready yet but it will still be due on March 28th this year. It is all online and the same as last year, so I should read all of the application bulletin so I can have the supporting documents in the works and ready to turn in as soon as it is ready.

I asked if she had any idea as to when it would be ready, and she said no and took my info to email me as soon as it is up.

HD

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info! I was worried about that, but good thing it is the same as last year.

So I see all of the supporting documents, but I could not find an actual application. Isn't there an essay or resume requirement of some sort? Thanks!

DO we need any LORs for the application. I would like to get them as soon as possible if the deadline is still March!:eek:

So I see all of the supporting documents, but I could not find an actual application. Isn't there an essay or resume requirement of some sort? Thanks!

No. There is no essay or CV/resume requirement.

DO we need any LORs for the application. I would like to get them as soon as possible if the deadline is still March!:eek:

No LORs required. You must get an affidavit from your school (saying that you're a student that was accepted there or is currently attending there) but that is all. You also need a copy of your school's curriculum (often available from the registrar; sometimes even online).

The application for the scholarship is like a personality test. They ask you questions that seem better suited for a dating website. For instance, they may ask you, "Do your friends consider you to be very blunt or excessively diplomatic?" or something like that. (Not an exact question obviously, but expect something similar.) You fill out a scantron sheet with your answers and mail it in. That may be why you cannot find an exact application online - you need a scantron sheet in order to submit your application for the scholarship.

Good luck to all! :luck:

No. There is no essay or CV/resume requirement.

No LORs required. You must get an affidavit from your school (saying that you're a student that was accepted there or is currently attending there) but that is all. You also need a copy of your school's curriculum (often available from the registrar; sometimes even online).

The application for the scholarship is like a personality test. They ask you questions that seem better suited for a dating website. For instance, they may ask you, "Do your friends consider you to be very blunt or excessively diplomatic?" or something like that. (Not an exact question obviously, but expect something similar.) You fill out a scantron sheet with your answers and mail it in. That may be why you cannot find an exact application online - you need a scantron sheet in order to submit your application for the scholarship.

Good luck to all! :luck:

Thanks for the info smq.

To the others, this year's application is not up yet, only the "supporting" documents information. Also, it is not a scantron this year, it is online. It should be the same questions, or so I was told, except online not paper/pencil.

I wonder how many people are applying this year and do any of the previous/current scholars know how many they give out each year? I wonder if the late avail. of the application will make for fewer or more applicants? I would think fewer.

Anyone hear any updates on when the application will be available? I’ve been checking the website since December and the only thing that’s up is the Applicant Information Bulletin. I’m a first-time applicant so I have no idea what the application is like or what info I need to fill it out or how long it takes to complete. They could at least post something up about why it’s taking so long to put the application out and update on when they expect to put it out, because the "Fall/Winter 2007" estimate has come and gone.
Sorry for the rant. I’m just a little vexed at this point at the fact that the application was supposed to be out months ago but it’s still not available and it’s unlikely that they’ll be able to extend the deadline, which leaves us with just over a month now to submit the application (assuming it comes out in the next few days).

Raz,
I understand your irritation. I have been checking daily as well even though I signed up to be notified when the application is available. I also am a first time applicant and am not sure what to expect either. Hopefully more information will become available soon!

I’m a first-time applicant so I have no idea what the application is like or what info I need to fill it out or how long it takes to complete.

I’m just a little vexed at this point at the fact that the application was supposed to be out months ago but it’s still not available and it’s unlikely that they’ll be able to extend the deadline, which leaves us with just over a month now to submit the application (assuming it comes out in the next few days).

Sure, I can understand your frustration.

But please, do NOT stress out about the time needed to complete the application! It is an extremely straight forward application - strictly multiple choice, and it is literally designed like a personality test. (It is a grown-up version of those "quizzes" that you see in Cosmo or Glamour. Literally!) It should take you no more than 2 hours to fill out the entire application. It takes me longer to do my taxes - it shouldn't even take up an entire afternoon.

The application for the NHSC scholarship is NOTHING like a med school application. NO essay, NO LORs, and NO CV required. The only thing that you need to send is a copy of your med school's curriculum - which is probably even available online - and confirmation that you are a student there (or will be in the near future).

Good luck!

Sure, I can understand your frustration.

But please, do NOT stress out about the time needed to complete the application! It is an extremely straight forward application - strictly multiple choice, and it is literally designed like a personality test. (It is a grown-up version of those "quizzes" that you see in Cosmo or Glamour. Literally!) It should take you no more than 2 hours to fill out the entire application. It takes me longer to do my taxes - it shouldn't even take up an entire afternoon.

The application for the NHSC scholarship is NOTHING like a med school application. NO essay, NO LORs, and NO CV required. The only thing that you need to send is a copy of your med school's curriculum - which is probably even available online - and confirmation that you are a student there (or will be in the near future).

Good luck!

Thanks for all the info again.

I am also a first time applicant, and I have been contacting the fin ad people at my school and they have been very helpful, so I would recommend the same to you others applying.

So if it is designed like a personality test, then how do they go about deciding which applicants are dedicated to primary care and underserved areas, especially without an interview process?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So if it is designed like a personality test, then how do they go about deciding which applicants are dedicated to primary care and underserved areas, especially without an interview process?? Thanks!

Nobody knows for sure how this process works, even when there was an "interview." All you can do is fill out the application to the best of your ability and hope.

subscribed. i really wanna know when the application is going to be available as well...

So I just looked online and got REALLY excited.....then my excitement was dashed. The 2008 Loan Repayment Application Bulletin is up, but not the scholarship application. Sigh...

But that means it should be coming soon...maybe even by the end of the day? Maybe? If it is, I'm sure I'll be on here with lots more questions all weekend!

HD

http://www.hrsa.gov/about/budgetjustification08/Clinicianrecruitment.htm

I think this link does a great job of clarifying data about the scholarship, because it describes # of scholars and some of their characteristics.

Basically, there were 97 scholarships given out to all types of health professionals. About half of the recipients were minorities, and about 1/3 were from "disadvantaged" backgrounds (no description of the overlap). There was not a breakdown by specialty/occupation, but given that I don't think I'll meet the criteria for minority or disadvantaged, I'd place my own odds at greater than 1:20, rather than their estimated 1:7.

I hate to say it, but I think there is a fair amount of politics involved in determining who gets the scholarship and who doesn't. There are certain states that tend to get the bulk of the awards, and a certain type they are shopping for, and that "type" changes as politics change. On the other hand, if you don't get an award, at least you shouldn't feel responsible at all, seems like a bit of a crapshoot.

http://www.hrsa.gov/about/budgetjustification08/Clinicianrecruitment.htm

I think this link does a great job of clarifying data about the scholarship, because it describes # of scholars and some of their characteristics.

Basically, there were 97 scholarships given out to all types of health professionals. About half of the recipients were minorities, and about 1/3 were from "disadvantaged" backgrounds (no description of the overlap). There was not a breakdown by specialty/occupation, but given that I don't think I'll meet the criteria for minority or disadvantaged, I'd place my own odds at greater than 1:20, rather than their estimated 1:7.

I hate to say it, but I think there is a fair amount of politics involved in determining who gets the scholarship and who doesn't. There are certain states that tend to get the bulk of the awards, and a certain type they are shopping for, and that "type" changes as politics change. On the other hand, if you don't get an award, at least you shouldn't feel responsible at all, seems like a bit of a crapshoot.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I agree with everything you wrote. Especially the "crapshoot" part. I refer you to my post dated 7/6/07.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I agree with everything you wrote. Especially the "crapshoot" part. I refer you to my post dated 7/6/07.
i agree with your earlier post. that's a ridiculous process. i wonder why they don't interview anymore? i'd feel a lot better about my chances if they did...

might as well go play the lottery in hopes of paying for school. :rolleyes:

You guys see the new update! They don't know when the application will be up nor when it will be due anymore!

grrrr...I just want to apply and stop thinking about it!

My thoughts....

1) They are out of money and don't want to tell anyone.

2) They are re-working the whole program, allowing more residencies and better practice options.

Hope for 2, but it's probably 1.

Oh well.

Hi Everyone,

Im trying to apply for this coming Fall 2008/2009 like the rest of you. Im just starting to think about the scholarship and I had a general question which is do we pick where we are assigned? I couldnt find that information.

Hi Everyone,

Im trying to apply for this coming Fall 2008/2009 like the rest of you. Im just starting to think about the scholarship and I had a general question which is do we pick where we are assigned? I couldnt find that information.

AS A CURRENT NHSC SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT, ONCE YOU FINISH SCHOOL AND ASSOCIATED TRAINING (I.E. RESIDENCY), YOU CAN THEN SEE WHAT OPENINGS ARE AVAILABLE AND APPLY TO THOSE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL GET YOUR CHOICE SINCE THE PURPOSE OF NHSC IS TO SERVE THE GREATEST NEED OR MOST MEDICALLY UNDERSERVED AREAS THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY.:luck:

AS A CURRENT NHSC SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENT, ONCE YOU FINISH SCHOOL AND ASSOCIATED TRAINING (I.E. RESIDENCY), YOU CAN THEN SEE WHAT OPENINGS ARE AVAILABLE AND APPLY TO THOSE YOU ARE INTERESTED IN. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL GET YOUR CHOICE SINCE THE PURPOSE OF NHSC IS TO SERVE THE GREATEST NEED OR MOST MEDICALLY UNDERSERVED AREAS THROUGHOUT THE COUNTRY.:luck:

Thanks for the information.
That sounds just about right.
Can I PM to ask a couple of more questions?

Thanks for the information.
That sounds just about right.
Can I PM to ask a couple of more questions?

sure, you can pm me. congrats on getting into med school. where are you going to med school in the fall?

I thought it would be worth mentioning that I saw Bill Clinton speak in Maine a couple weeks ago campaigning for Hillary and he mentioned the National Health Service Corps specifically in his talk. I am not sure of the exact details, but he identified it as a good avenue to ameliorate the crisis we face in the present and upcoming physician shortage. So even if the scholar program is not going to be offered this year for funding reasons, it seems that there may be a light at the end of next year's tunnel.

I thought it would be worth mentioning that I saw Bill Clinton speak in Maine a couple weeks ago campaigning for Hillary and he mentioned the National Health Service Corps specifically in his talk. I am not sure of the exact details, but he identified it as a good avenue to ameliorate the crisis we face in the present and upcoming physician shortage. So even if the scholar program is not going to be offered this year for funding reasons, it seems that there may be a light at the end of next year's tunnel.

He's an idiot. Anything that 'socializes' medicine/health care will WORSEN the situation, not improve it.

He's an idiot. Anything that 'socializes' medicine/health care will WORSEN the situation, not improvement it.

Respect your views, but wrong place to post.

Anyone ever hear of someone finished with residency and getting placed as opposed to picking a location to work? That's my biggest fear with the scholarship--I want to live in Boston but could be placed in Maine if I cannot secure a job in X months? Am I understanding this correctly?

Respect your views, but wrong place to post.

Anyone ever hear of someone finished with residency and getting placed as opposed to picking a location to work? That's my biggest fear with the scholarship--I want to live in Boston but could be placed in Maine if I cannot secure a job in X months? Am I understanding this correctly?

Theoretically, you could be placed in Guam. So yes, you're understanding this correctly.

There were stories on other threads on SDN of this happening. So, again, you really need to weigh all your options here, and (when it comes time to find a job) - plan ahead.

any updates on when the application might be available? I'm getting so antsy!

Please, US Government Official in charge of this scholarship program...I will work wherever you send me if you just leave me debt free! : ) just give me a chance to apply!

Has anyone called them lately about the 2008 app? It just says "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It has not yet been determined when the 2008 Applicant Information Bulletin, on-line application and supplemental forms will be available or due." I too am skeptical about the "we'll inform you by email if you sign up" thing. But I also don't want to bug them if they really don't have more info.

Like many of you on this thread, I've been anxiously awaiting the 2008-2009 application. But it has been delayed for months... so my thinking has shifted a bit. Currently, I have two acceptances (both of which I'm very excited about), and one school is MUCH more cost-effective than the other, so I'm giving it a lot more thought than I was in the past. If you have ANY other options, my advice would be to start pursuing them. Otherwise, you could be S-T-U-C-K racking up huge debt in the very near future.

I'm hoping they at least tell us what the current status is sometime soon. It's really frustrating not knowing what's going on.:confused:

Hi Everyone,

I am a member of the American Public Health Association (APHA) and I just got done reading the current issue of "The Nation's Health." It is a "newpaper" that APHA put out, one of the cover story's in the current issue is about the shortage of primary care docs in the country. It was an interesting read.

I am linking an article that is free for anyone to read, I recommend it.

http://www.apha.org/publications/tnh/current/March08/Nation/BudgetNATION.htm

Highlights below if you don't want to read it all:

Bush’s 2009 proposal, which was released in early February, recommends cutting funding to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by more than $412 million — a 7 percent cut below fiscal year 2008 funding and a return to 2003 funding levels. The Health Resources and Services Administration is also slated for considerable cuts in Bush’s proposal, which calls for cutting the agency’s budget by almost $1 billion, including an almost 70 percent cut to the nation’s health professions training program. While many policy experts are describing Bush’s proposal as "dead on arrival," it presents a starting point for negotiations that makes it difficult to bring funding to levels that adequately reflect today’s public health needs, according to health advocates.

All of this is pending congress approval, so there is still hope. But, if Bush gets his way, it looks like no scholarships this year! Yuck!

Hi Everyone,

I am a member of the American Public Health Association (APHA) and I just got done reading the current issue of "The Nation's Health." It is a "newpaper" that APHA put out, one of the cover story's in the current issue is about the shortage of primary care docs in the country. It was an interesting read.

I am linking an article that is free for anyone to read, I recommend it.

http://www.apha.org/publications/tnh/current/March08/Nation/BudgetNATION.htm

Highlights below if you don't want to read it all:

Bush’s 2009 proposal, which was released in early February, recommends cutting funding to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention by more than $412 million — a 7 percent cut below fiscal year 2008 funding and a return to 2003 funding levels. The Health Resources and Services Administration is also slated for considerable cuts in Bush’s proposal, which calls for cutting the agency’s budget by almost $1 billion, including an almost 70 percent cut to the nation’s health professions training program. While many policy experts are describing Bush’s proposal as "dead on arrival," it presents a starting point for negotiations that makes it difficult to bring funding to levels that adequately reflect today’s public health needs, according to health advocates.

All of this is pending congress approval, so there is still hope. But, if Bush gets his way, it looks like no scholarships this year! Yuck!

Hit it right on the nail!! Heard from an excellent source linked directly with the NHSC--the scholarship is in limbo this year until it gets through congress. If this scholarship isn't available this year its directly because of Bush. Yet its so easy for him to spend $17 billion a month on his war!! Frustrating!!

Has anyone called them lately about the 2008 app? It just says "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] It has not yet been determined when the 2008 Applicant Information Bulletin, on-line application and supplemental forms will be available or due." I too am skeptical about the "we'll inform you by email if you sign up" thing. But I also don't want to bug them if they really don't have more info.

I'm still checking their website regularly anyhow, but I did get a status update via email the instant the LRP app went live, which gave me hope that their email notification would work for the scholarship as well.

Hit it right on the nail!! Heard from an excellent source linked directly with the NHSC--the scholarship is in limbo this year until it gets through congress. If this scholarship isn't available this year its directly because of Bush. Yet its so easy for him to spend $17 billion a month on his war!! Frustrating!!

so, is there anyway to know when it's supposed to get through congress? i'm guessing it's a complicated process that could take a very long time? Is there a specific date that it has to be approved by?

What a monumental douche bag...on the bright side, the senate passed their 2009 FY Budget on March 14. It was almost entirely supported by Democrats and rejected by Republicans. I haven't been able to find the bill that they voted on, but I'm hoping that they fixed the NHSC and Rural Med crap that Bush proposed. As an OMS-I planning on practicing rural family medicine, I'm feeling more and more like the Republicans intend to throw us under the proverbial bus. Socialized medicine doesn't sound any better, but at least the Democrats PRETEND to care about underserved populations.

I emailed someone at the agency about the NHSC scholarship recently and got the same information as before. I was directed to sign up for the email notification, which I had already done. I went back to the email sign up page anyway and read, "The National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program 2008 application is expected to be available Winter 2008."

I am not sure how they will accept applicants and give out awards for the 2008 school year after school has started, so I am guessing they are skipping this year.

that news sucks. thanks for posting, anyhow.

I emailed someone at the agency about the NHSC scholarship recently and got the same information as before. I was directed to sign up for the email notification, which I had already done. I went back to the email sign up page anyway and read, "The National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program 2008 application is expected to be available Winter 2008."

I am not sure how they will accept applicants and give out awards for the 2008 school year after school has started, so I am guessing they are skipping this year.
I'm kinda thinking that may be the case this year. Even after the two houses in congress agree on the budget, it still has to go through all the appropriations committees and all that crap. It seems like it will likely be too late for the awards to be given out this year. On the other hand. I'd be fine with taking out loans up front and being reimbursed later...even next semester, if they decided to go ahead with it later this summer. That's all under the huge assumption that I actually got one of the scholarships...:laugh:

Glad to see so many others trying to figure this out as well!

I called the NHSC phone number today and they told me that the delay in posting the application this year is due to their transition to a completely electronic format. Until now, the process has apparently been completed via snail mail. When I asked her when she expected the application to be posted, she said she didn't know but "hoped it would be soon!" I hope so too! :confused:

Good luck to all and thanks for sharing any info you have about the process! :oops:

Get ready for more of the same from the NHSC if you become a scholar. When you join with the NHSC you will be assigned an "adviser" who may or may not return emails or phone calls. This year was my placement year - when I either find a site to work or get assigned to an Indian reservation by the NHSC. The NHSC's list of qualified sites was unavailable for months! And at just the time that hundreds of scholars are looking for jobs. My emails to my adviser were returned. I called and was told that the entire staff of advisers was no longer working there because the NHSC had let their contracts expire! No one at the NHSC had even bothered to tell us what was going on. I could go on, but you get the idea. The NHSC runs like any other government bureaucracy.

Get ready for more of the same from the NHSC if you become a scholar. When you join with the NHSC you will be assigned an "adviser" who may or may not return emails or phone calls. This year was my placement year - when I either find a site to work or get assigned to an Indian reservation by the NHSC. The NHSC's list of qualified sites was unavailable for months! And at just the time that hundreds of scholars are looking for jobs. My emails to my adviser were returned. I called and was told that the entire staff of advisers was no longer working there because the NHSC had let their contracts expire! No one at the NHSC had even bothered to tell us what was going on. I could go on, but you get the idea. The NHSC runs like any other government bureaucracy.

I'll second this! I've been calling/emailing my adviser for MONTHS! I switched programs and tried to tell her so that I could fill out a new residency form and she kept saying she would send it and guess what? 1 year later still no form. I didn't even get my W-2 from them this tax year. I just had to estimate based on my bank statements and go with that. I keep calling about it, it seems that have hired some new firm to work with the scholars but didn't tell anyone about it. And when I asked the new guys some questions, his answer....we're still training, I don't want to give you any wrong answers. It's a bit frustrating!

Did you find a job? Or did you end up getting placed? I'm irritated that the job list is all screwed up now.

I'll second this! I've been calling/emailing my adviser for MONTHS! I switched programs and tried to tell her so that I could fill out a new residency form and she kept saying she would send it and guess what? 1 year later still no form. I didn't even get my W-2 from them this tax year. I just had to estimate based on my bank statements and go with that. I keep calling about it, it seems that have hired some new firm to work with the scholars but didn't tell anyone about it. And when I asked the new guys some questions, his answer....we're still training, I don't want to give you any wrong answers. It's a bit frustrating!

Did you find a job? Or did you end up getting placed? I'm irritated that the job list is all screwed up now.

Very encouraging. Gotta love the federal government!!

I called the office earlier this week and was told that right now, there are temporary advisors assigned to scholars (based on where you went to school) and that new advisors will be assigned next week. They didn't give an explanation but my temporary advisor used the term "regime change." I can only assume it's budgetary. The temporary advisor was shockingly helpful in comparison to the previous person.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The application for the 2008-2009 academic year is expected to be available by the end of May. The on-line application and supplemental forms will be due 30 days after they are published. .
Copied from NHSC website. It's gonna happen this year!:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The application for the 2008-2009 academic year is expected to be available by the end of May. The on-line application and supplemental forms will be due 30 days after they are published. .
Copied from NHSC website. It's gonna happen this year!:clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap: :bow: :clap:

Do they have last years still on the website so at least I can start preparing my essays and recc letters for it?

thanx