Advice on LOR? Trouble with one more science professor.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singerpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What I have or confident I'll have:
1-chorus (yes Ph.D.) prof (non-science)
1-org chm prof (science)
1-grad student w/ PI signature (the PI was also a Biochm prof of mine but I got a C+ so I obviously don't feel comfortable asking for a LOR for that course unless you think otherwise, I got sick with strep and performed horribly on an exam that really brought my grade down)

Several options for physicians: MD who knows me really well->family friend and I worked for him; DO (he also has MD credentials but he goes by DO) who was my psychiatrist for many years and a family friend; DO I will be shadowing very soon who I know a little and I do believe he would give me one after; MD I shadowed but a few years back who definitely liked me.

Obviously, I need one more science. I have emailed so many professors (6). Only one has agreed. 2 others said no but for good reasons tbh. The others have not responded but my friend thinks I should email again or something. Or maybe show up at their office but idk if they would feel uncomfortable by that. I will be emailing more, one of which is from a smaller university (maybe less competition in LORs) I took chm2 at.

In the emails, I introduced myself and gave them a few details they may remember me by along with my grade. In addition, I offered to provide my resume, personal statement and other materials for additional info as well as to meet with them or talk on the phone at their convenience.

Any ideas? I know 2 sci prof LORs are required for schools so I'm really worried.:(
All help is greatly appreciated. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You definitely want 2 science letters on file; some schools do not make exceptions for that WHATSOEVER. From experience, I had to literally google past science professors (who are no longer at my undergrad institution) and track them down. One of them didn't respond for 2 months, but I followed up weekly until I got a response -- and I got that letter, too.

Anyone you haven't heard from... ASK AGAIN. AND AGAIN. At this point, I wouldn't show up at their office unless you're on campus for some other reason (but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if it came down to it!)

This may sound creepy, but also offer to send a picture of yourself. I strongly suggest this if the class was very large or if you're 5yrs or more post-undergrad. It may help jog the professor's memory of you (certainly helped in my case).

This is your med school application -- a major mental and financial investment. Persistence is key. Best to you!

Reactions: 2 users
You definitely want 2 science letters on file; some schools do not make exceptions for that WHATSOEVER. From experience, I had to literally google past science professors (who are no longer at my undergrad institution) and track them down. One of them didn't respond for 2 months, but I followed up weekly until I got a response -- and I got that letter, too.

Anyone you haven't heard from... ASK AGAIN. AND AGAIN. At this point, I wouldn't show up at their office unless you're on campus for some other reason (but I wouldn't hesitate to do so if it came down to it!)

This may sound creepy, but also offer to send a picture of yourself. I strongly suggest this if the class was very large or if you're 5yrs or more post-undergrad. It may help jog the professor's memory of you (certainly helped in my case).

This is your med school application -- a major mental and financial investment. Persistence is key. Best to you!

Thank you so much for your response. I am on campus taking classes in the summer so it's not completely out of my way. I definitely plan on emailing these nonresponsive professors again. I definitely believe at least one of them would give me a chance. She was extremely nice and had the same attitude as the orgo prof who agreed to give me one. I think my email got stuck in a pile because I sent it on a Friday night. I definitely plan on emailing them perhaps Monday morning so they see it first thing. I have a profile picture on my email but I meant to also send my picture at the bottom of the email. However, my photo was not added correctly (you have to add it as an attachment, not copy paste). Anyways, I was thinking of following up the email by adding my resume, personal statement and that photo (correctly). When do I need to be sure to have my letter by?

Members don't see this ad :)
If the beginning of this application cycle has taught me anything, it's that being a POLITE RESPECTFUL nuisance is a great way to get what you want. Email them every single week. There are so many variables in this application process that you really need to take initiative in as many aspects of it as you can.

Reactions: 1 users
If the beginning of this application cycle has taught me anything, it's that being a POLITE RESPECTFUL nuisance is a great way to get what you want. Email them every single week. There are so many variables in this application process that you really need to take initiative in as many aspects of it as you can.

Do you have a general outline for such an email? I'm also having trouble getting responses from professors, so I plan on following up with them here in the next few days.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have a general outline for such an email? I'm also having trouble getting responses from professors, so I plan on following up with them here in the next few days.
Most of my professors responded; however, many of them have taken quite a while to write the letters, so I would usually send a follow up email making sure they don't have any questions and reminding them of the guidelines.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much for your response. I am on campus taking classes in the summer so it's not completely out of my way. I definitely plan on emailing these nonresponsive professors again. I definitely believe at least one of them would give me a chance. She was extremely nice and had the same attitude as the orgo prof who agreed to give me one. I think my email got stuck in a pile because I sent it on a Friday night. I definitely plan on emailing them perhaps Monday morning so they see it first thing. I have a profile picture on my email but I meant to also send my picture at the bottom of the email. However, my photo was not added correctly (you have to add it as an attachment, not copy paste). Anyways, I was thinking of following up the email by adding my resume, personal statement and that photo (correctly). When do I need to be sure to have my letter by?

There's no firm deadline, really, but understand that school probably won't look at your secondary app until your file is complete. Therefore, I'd shoot to have your letters in by the time your secondaries are complete or shortly after. I did the following:
1) Set a self-imposed deadline for completion of my secondaries (I'd suggest early to mid August).
2) Gave my writers a SPECIFIC date that was one week BEFORE my self-imposed deadline. That gave me (and them) a little cushion. [BTW, don't tell your writers YOUR deadline lol.]

Additionally, I'd give your writers 4-6 weeks MINIMUM to complete your letter. They are likely writing letters for other students, wrapped up in teaching and grading, and just have other priorities in general. Be kind and humble; a simple "Haven't heard from you in awhile so I hope all is well with you" goes a LOOOOONG way when following up. :)

Here are a few sample emails below that I sent to my writers. Feel free to modify. :)

{1st follow up -- no response at this point}
Good morning Dr. M,

I hope all is well with you!

I wanted to follow up with you regarding the e-mail below (original request was in the chain). I am in the process of completing secondary applications for medical school, and am humbly asking for a letter of recommendation. As most medical schools prefer letters from Science Professors, I am reaching out to my professors from [UNDERGRAD].

I am aiming to have all letters on file by August 15, but I understand if you will need additional time. I am happy to provide an updated list of experiences and personal statement.

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Kindly,
[MY NAME]

{Subsequent Request -- prof had agreed to write letter}
Good morning Dr. M,

Hope all is well!

Just following up with you regarding the recommendation letter; wanted to make sure you received the request sent last Tuesday (DATE). Please let me know if you need any additional information. Again -- many, many thanks for your help!

Best,
[MY NAME]

{when the deadline I requested has passed -- I'm emailing twice a week at this point}
Good morning Dr. M,

Hoping all is well!

Just checking in with you again regarding the recommendation letter. My goal was to have a complete file by 8/15, but I understand if you need a little extra time. I sent a reminder last week, but please let me know if you'd like me to resend or if you need any additional information.

Thank you!
[MY NAME]

Here are a few sample emails below that I sent to my writers. Feel free to modify. :)

{1st follow up -- no response at this point}
Good morning Dr. M,

I hope all is well with you!

I wanted to follow up with you regarding the e-mail below (original request was in the chain). I am in the process of completing secondary applications for medical school, and am humbly asking for a letter of recommendation. As most medical schools prefer letters from Science Professors, I am reaching out to my professors from [UNDERGRAD].

I am aiming to have all letters on file by August 15, but I understand if you will need additional time. I am happy to provide an updated list of experiences and personal statement.

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

Kindly,
[MY NAME]

{Subsequent Request -- prof had agreed to write letter}
Good morning Dr. M,

Hope all is well!

Just following up with you regarding the recommendation letter; wanted to make sure you received the request sent last Tuesday (DATE). Please let me know if you need any additional information. Again -- many, many thanks for your help!

Best,
[MY NAME]

{when the deadline I requested has passed -- I'm emailing twice a week at this point}
Good morning Dr. M,

Hoping all is well!

Just checking in with you again regarding the recommendation letter. My goal was to have a complete file by 8/15, but I understand if you need a little extra time. I sent a reminder last week, but please let me know if you'd like me to resend or if you need any additional information.

Thank you!
[MY NAME]

Wow thanks!:)

So I sent a follow-up email this morning to those 3 professors. I still haven't heard back yet... lol these are THREE professors >.< I just need one. I guess I will also send some more out to other professors if I don't hear back by Thursday. Suggestions?