Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Einstein30

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am interviewing at a program which has residents from my school. I want to contact at least one of these resident as part of my prep prior to the day of the interview. The problem is their email addresses are not published on the program's website. I checked alumni listing but wasn't helpful. I'm planning to contact the Pc. Good idea?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone heard form IM or FM in NY.

Members don't see this ad.

Does your school have an alumni association that would be trying to keep this information up-to-date? That would be my first go-to.

I've been told by programs with residents from our school that they will inform them, and I imagine the residents will seek me out. I'm not sure what the etiquette is to try contacting residents pre-interview--I've seen some residents at my school be turned off when they're randomly contacted by med students seeking to match here.

As far as etiquette is concerned I don't know I'm not a resident; as far as how to contact them (I am a Ross 3rd year) I would log into your email and search their name. Create a new message, Click the "To" button, a new window will pop up and you can search their name. I don't know if graduates continue to use their ross email but if your really set on it that would be how I would do it.

Do any of them have Facebook profiles?

Do *not* do this.

Just because someone went to your school and you are interviewing at their residency program does not entitle you to a meeting with them. Have your medical school send out requests for contact information and if they may share it with applicants.

Do this AFTER the interview, and make an effort to do this. I think its almost mandatory to do it. Because the Program director usually asks "hey, did you hear from the guy/gal from your school", sometime closer to rank list day. It's inevitable especially if it is a small program

...--I've seen some residents at my school be turned off when they're randomly contacted by med students seeking to match here.

agree. If a resident wants to make themselves available to interviewees from their home school, there's always a way to do this through the school without a bunch of unsolicited emails and Facebook requests. In general you get so many garbage emails as a resident from recruiters and professional publications and product/services reps that you are pretty quick to delete any email where you don't recognize the name anyhow.

Thanks guys for all your responses. Truly appreciated