Advice needed. How can I as an incoming M1 at a rural Midwest school match EM at Mass General?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nontrad4life

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Esp now that STEP 1 is pass fail, I refuse to believe the battle is already lost based on pedigree. I want high level academic programs for 2 reasons
1. the fellowship I am interested in is only offered by the top hospitals in the country.
2. the upcoming state of EM means being a normal ER doc is out of the question.

So how can I go from unranked to a top 3 hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Honor your rotations/ Honor-level marks on your away rotations too
2. Top percentile Step 2 score
3. Publish or contribute to EM as much as you can as a medical student--ultrasound, social EM, EMS, toxicology, critical care, global health
4. Do not be annoying :)

Reactions: 1 users
1. Crush SLOEs
2. Crush Step 2
3. Good extracurriculars (volunteer, research, leadership)
4. Dont be a dillhead

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As an M1 being confident in your speciality is a bit of a leap of faith but okay!

Gunning for the exact program you want to be is actually insane.

Be a good medical student, work hard, keep an open mind, and good things will come. Best of luck.

1) Out of curiosity, what sorta fellowship are you refering to?

2) Being a normal EM is not out of the question, though where and how you'll practice will be different but this was always the case. Academic EM and those running a county ED have always been different, and will remain different, and the work therein can be tremendously different as well