Advice needed for undergrad medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gotrumpet

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am finishing 2nd year meds and am very intersted in Ophthalmology. I was wondering:

1) What texts should I use to supplement electives and rotations in ophthalmology? I bought the Basic Ophth book published by AAO.

2) How long should each ophthalmology summer elective last? (3 months for summer) I also have 6 week formal elective blocks...should I devote 3 weeks for each ophtho elective?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gotrumpet
Hi I am finishing 2nd year meds and am very intersted in Ophthalmology. I was wondering:

1) What texts should I use to supplement electives and rotations in ophthalmology? I bought the Basic Ophth book published by AAO.

2) How long should each ophthalmology summer elective last? (3 months for summer) I also have 6 week formal elective blocks...should I devote 3 weeks for each ophtho elective?

Thanks.

Hi there,

Great to hear that you're interested. Read the Basic book by the AAO. Also read the Wills Eye Manual. This helps you to put diseases into groups.

Each elective should last 4 weeks. I think 3 months of ophtho is plenty as a medical student. This is what I did.

Good luck!

Hey Andrew, thanks for your reply! First of all, I want to say that what you're doing here on your own time is very generous of you, to help others who aren't in Ophtho yet. I wish I could work with someone like you in my Ophtho electives. I know residents are not always so nice in helping undergrad medical students soemtimes, so it's really nice to know that people like you still exist.

I was thinking of getting the Practical Ophth book you suggested to others, published by AAO, and I have Wills on my Palm Pilot.

I'm thinking it may not be so good to do the whole 3 months in Ophtho electives, cuz then I have no backup. I was planning to do 1 month in a non-Ophtho elective where I might be able to get more exposure and practice to prepare for clerkship, since clerkship marks are so important. Do you think Emerg would be better, or Internal (general?), or something else?

Also, regarding electives, I was advised to work in the resident Ophtho clinics to get exposure to a lot of the stuff going on, and also to get to know lots of staff. And to do electives outside of my home city (but I don't know when to do them, in the summer, in 3rd year or in my final elective in 4th year.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Originally posted by gotrumpet
Hey Andrew, thanks for your reply! First of all, I want to say that what you're doing here on your own time is very generous of you, to help others who aren't in Ophtho yet. I wish I could work with someone like you in my Ophtho electives. I know residents are not always so nice in helping undergrad medical students soemtimes, so it's really nice to know that people like you still exist.

I was thinking of getting the Practical Ophth book you suggested to others, published by AAO, and I have Wills on my Palm Pilot.

I'm thinking it may not be so good to do the whole 3 months in Ophtho electives, cuz then I have no backup. I was planning to do 1 month in a non-Ophtho elective where I might be able to get more exposure and practice to prepare for clerkship, since clerkship marks are so important. Do you think Emerg would be better, or Internal (general?), or something else?

Also, regarding electives, I was advised to work in the resident Ophtho clinics to get exposure to a lot of the stuff going on, and also to get to know lots of staff. And to do electives outside of my home city (but I don't know when to do them, in the summer, in 3rd year or in my final elective in 4th year.

What do you think?

Thanks!

Thanks for your kind words. Makes me feel better doing this. I was on call last night, and I am a little tired. :)

Two months of ophtho is fine . Most students elect to spend at least two months of eye electives.

Your school doesn't require an ER month? If not, then I would do ER. If you've already completed a month of ER, then do a medicine sub-I.

Working in the resident eye clinic is a great idea. Doing an outside elective is good if you're aiming to do residency training at a specific program. The best time for this is the summer between the 3rd and 4th year (i.e. June-Sept). However, this is not necessary, but I also came from a program with a very good and diverse eye program.

Good luck!