Advice for online recruitment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thelostlilac

Reaction score
Hi! I am working on a study with parents, teachers, and medical students for online data collection and I am trying to figure out the best ways to recruit. Anyone have any ideas/experience recruiting these groups? I cannot afford MTurk or Qualtrics panel or anything like that. Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean by 'parents' and 'teachers'? In some way related to medical students or no? Just parents in general, teachers in general, and medical students in general?

MTurk would not be much use for those groups anyways. Depending on what you are looking for it would be more useful to speak with leadership in various places to get their approval to distribute. For example when I was in medical school our dean of students would often send relevant surveys to the entire class. Depends on the merit of the study. I assume if you do not have the money for MTurk you wouldn't have the money for a newspaper ad (in my experience pretty poor hit rate on papers as well).

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean by 'parents' and 'teachers'? In some way related to medical students or no? Just parents in general, teachers in general, and medical students in general?

MTurk would not be much use for those groups anyways. Depending on what you are looking for it would be more useful to speak with leadership in various places to get their approval to distribute. For example when I was in medical school our dean of students would often send relevant surveys to the entire class. Depends on the merit of the study. I assume if you do not have the money for MTurk you wouldn't have the money for a newspaper ad (in my experience pretty poor hit rate on papers as well).
Apologies, I'll be more specific. I'm trying to recruit parents and teachers who have/work with children and adolescents aged four through 18, as well as medical students and residents in general. I have spoken with leadership at various places and that has yielded some movement, but I am having trouble getting any participants since it's summer so I was hoping to explore some new avenues for recruitment.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, got you. So at least two real locations where you'd need recruitment: primary/secondary schools and medical establishments.

Tough if you don't have any connection or IRB approvals through any of these places in particular. I'd think it would be easiest to work your way down from the top through a district school administration and a hospital research office. Again, tough if you're not a member of either of these places. I will be curious to see if you get any other useful feedback (this forum, unfortunately, is not particularly engaged). I really do think that the best way to do this without any sort of available monetary incentive is direct communication with administrators who can be convinced that your work is relevant and worthwhile to pass on down their bulk e-mail lists.

My previous participant recruitment was generally through paid studies so unfortunately I have limited knowledge in such a thing. Hope you get the data you need.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, got you. So at least two real locations where you'd need recruitment: primary/secondary schools and medical establishments.

Tough if you don't have any connection or IRB approvals through any of these places in particular. I'd think it would be easiest to work your way down from the top through a district school administration and a hospital research office. Again, tough if you're not a member of either of these places. I will be curious to see if you get any other useful feedback (this forum, unfortunately, is not particularly engaged). I really do think that the best way to do this without any sort of available monetary incentive is direct communication with administrators who can be convinced that your work is relevant and worthwhile to pass on down their bulk e-mail lists.

My previous participant recruitment was generally through paid studies so unfortunately I have limited knowledge in such a thing. Hope you get the data you need.
Thank you for your help!