This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavity

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current dental student applying to Pediatric Dentistry Residency programs. My GPA is 91.35/100 and my updated rank has not yet been revealed, however this past semester it was 32/128, pending updated ranks. I have been extremely active in leadership, community service, research, etc. I have also received a lot of awards and scholarships for research, which is also in pediatrics. Letters of rec from director of the peds department at my school, peds faculty, pediatric dentist I shadow, and research mentor, and faculty I worked closely with. I have done three formal externships and two "observerships" in pediatric dentistry.
I am planning to apply to 15 peds programs and I would love any input. Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like you're on the right track so far. Apply broadly and take advantage of all the interviews you receive. Most of the time you have a pretty good foot in the door at programs you extern or visit, assuming it was a positive experience. Best of luck!

Sounds like you're on the right track so far. Apply broadly and take advantage of all the interviews you receive. Most of the time you have a pretty good foot in the door at programs you extern or visit, assuming it was a positive experience. Best of luck!
How many programs would you suggest applying to?

How many programs would you suggest applying to?
It's hard to say what the minimum any given person should apply to but it only can help your chances applying to more. My opinion was I'd rather pay a few hundred dollars extra applying to more programs and help to ensure matching rather than wasting a year and reapplying next year. I would say between 15 and 20 would be safe.