Admissions and green card

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrei

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
My green card will come in about 6-8 months, but I need to apply for school now. It's just a question of time. Do you guys know how dental/med schools treat people like me? I will definitely talk to them, but maybe anybybody had a similar experience. I hate to loose another year because of this.
Any comment is highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Andrei,
As far as I know You do not need a green card to apply to a Dental School.
Kind regards.

Andrei,
Apply now, don't put-off your application. However, tell your situation to the admission office of the school you're applying to. You shouldn't have a problem applying to private universities, but many state/public schools do prefer US citizenship. As far as I know, US citizenship or permanent residency is taken into consideration only when you're applying for financial aid.
Hope this helps a tad.

The issue is chiefly ability to pay and, for public (state) schools, also legal residency.
If you expect to have a green card before tuition is due, you can borrow money like US citizens. Otherwise, you/your family will have to have deep pockets or other access to borrowing money. Later, after the green card is in hand, you can borrow money for the remaining semesters.