Admission questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nomorelaw

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. After many years away from undergrad. I have started taking science classes at my local c.c. b/c of location and class times. I have finished Bio 101 w/ an A and am taking Bio 102 now. My undergrad. GPA was around 3.4. Does anyone know what I will need for admission for both sci and overall? will my JD help? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

nomorelaw said:
Hi all. After many years away from undergrad. I have started taking science classes at my local c.c. b/c of location and class times. I have finished Bio 101 w/ an A and am taking Bio 102 now. My undergrad. GPA was around 3.4. Does anyone know what I will need for admission for both sci and overall? will my JD help? Thanks.

Hey...generally they are looking for the following requirements:

Bio - 8 semester Hours
Chem - 8 semester Hours
Organic Chem - 8 Semester Hours
Physics- 8 semester hours
English - 6 Semester hours

In addition, you need either MCAT, DAT, or GRE scores.

The average GPA for entering classes is more than 3.0/4.0 scale. So I think the marks vary within each school and each class.

Those are the academic requirements but other factors like extracurricular, research, activities, etc. In other words, they also look for the complete overall package as well.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions regarding admissions particularily Temple and OCPM, please do not hesitate to direct them to my attention or send me a private message.

Good luck!

Hello,

Biology
12 semester hours or 18 quarter hours
General/Inorganic Chemistry
8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours
Organic Chemistry*
Physics
English
6 semester hours or 9 quarter hours

*Biochemistry may be substituted for half of the Organic Chemistry requirement.
All science courses must include laboratory work where applicable.

For more info:
http://www.rosalindfranklin.edu/Admissions/scpm/#Academic

In my humble opinion, a JD is valuable to any profession if utilized in the proper way. In addition, if you practice in a field that has nothing to do with medicine, your current knowledge as a JD may not be helpful but your potential to learn the law will be important. As a future podiatrist, I think it would be great to have more JDs on board. Especially if they decided to work for the profession and get a better handle on medicare, etc...

From your previous posts, it doesn't appear that you are interested in podiatric medicine though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about dentistry for the wrong reasons (wife is an RDH). I found podiatry interesting for years since I used to go often due to foot problems. I observed a DPM and it was a great experience. Is a 3.4 respectable for entry? I am thinking about malpractice defense as I have some experience doing insurance defense law. What do you all think?

nomorelaw said:

There are only a few DPMs in the country who also have a JD. They are well known and lecture a lot. One is editor of a large magazine.

You could do a lot with a DPM, JD.

Also, most schools will relax entry requirements if you already have a professional degree. You've already proven that you can handle graduate education.

Good luck.

LCR