Adjunct teacher's PsyD rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hum1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am curious to know others' hourly rates for teaching courses at PsyD programs.

I am a clinical licensed psychologist and am being paid $48 per hour (each 3 hour course per week pays me 4.35 hours of preparations so total is 7.35 hours per week being paid for a 3 credit course).

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for reminding me why I turn down adjunct teaching offers.

Reactions: 9 users
I've always thought I wanted to adjunct once I have my PhD because I absolutely love teaching, but SHEESH that hourly rate is appalling.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
An alternative for some folks is to guest lecture at a university and use it as a business & vacation trip. It can help to have contacts/friends/former mentors help facilitate the process. Universities often offer honorariums ($200-$500) or similar to come give a talk, which will never get your rich, but you can use the trip as a biz expense.

I’d rather go this route to scratch my lecturing itch and maybe visit with friends and/or family, while still bring able to bill all of the other days I’m not traveling. Conference presentations can also be used in the same way.

Reactions: 4 users
An alternative for some folks is to guest lecture at a university and use it as a business & vacation trip. It can help to have contacts/friends/former mentors help facilitate the process. Universities often offer honorariums ($200-$500) or similar to come give a talk, which will never get your rich, but you can use the trip as a biz expense.

I’d rather go this route to scratch my lecturing itch and maybe visit with friends and/or family, while still bring able to bill all of the other days I’m not traveling. Conference presentations can also be used in the same way.

I have done a few of these locally for some organizations. I much prefer it and I have the slides done so not much planning. Nowadays, I do a few for the interns and post-docs and call it a day. No grades, no office hours, or juggling another bureaucracy for a few thousand dollars. The timing of classes is the other issue that makes it a pain.

Reactions: 1 users
I did this once. Graduate level forensic psych course. Was so much more work than it was worth, but...then Covid happened and i didnt have to drive in to campus. So that was nice. Did it solely to have it on my CV and look good for Court. Doubtful i will do it again (albeit it would be easier as the lectures are all complete).

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone.

So I suppose it is a general situation.

I enjoy teaching because I am able to do something different than psychotherapy, but the effort involved is very high and the pay is very low. Sometimes it takes me 10 hours of work to prepare a 3 hour class since this is a new class.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you everyone.

So I suppose it is a general situation.

I enjoy teaching because I am able to do something different than psychotherapy, but the effort involved is very high and the pay is very low. Sometimes it takes me 10 hours of work to prepare a 3 hour class since this is a new class.
If it is something you find you enjoy, the 2nd, 3rd time through should be much easier, as the first time is always the most upfront work.

Reactions: 4 users
So about 5600 a semester. During postdoc and early career, it could make sense. At this point in my career, it would be costing me money because I can generate much more income through clinical work.

So about 5600 a semester. During postdoc and early career, it could make sense. At this point in my career, it would be costing me money because I can generate much more income through clinical work.
Also for early career, I think that is the time to try things like adjunct teaching because the tradeoff is likely less economically impactful. You (I think?) and I are just past "early career" so the cost is greater because we have other avenues to generate revenue and we are comfortable with the areas we work in that making any big changes like adjusting scheduling to teach a class can be more of a PITA. As I mentioned earlier, I'm much more likely to give a one-off lecture on a topic of interest than I am to teach an entire course on it, as I've learned that the "benefits" to me are the interaction and enjoyment of lecturing, not the money. The economic impact is mitigated by being a one time thing, and I already know some of the challenges (for me) teaching a class would be at this point in my career. I don't have the patience to deal with students nor any administrators, so I actively avoid that scenario.

@hum1 may find a benefit in the experience, the side $, and to have an opportunity to educate the next generation of clinicians. Something else not touched on yet is developing multiple slide decks on a given topic provides a nice opportunity to tweak and expand into a conference talk, community talk, or even a marketing tool. While putting together slide decks there is probably information that is more appropriate for practicing clinicians that can be put aside for future use. I'll make extra slides that I put at the end of a given presentation, or I have the "extra" slides saved in the same cloud directory because I know I'd likely use them later.

One real-life example is I had multiple slide decks about all types of brain injuries I made during fellowship for resident talks and grand rounds. The prevalence data slides and basic definitions could be pulled directly into a slide deck for a community presentation on head injury. I've used some of those same slides for a conference talk, and a number of years later I use them now to educate lawyers about TBI. Sure, there are some data and citations I needed to update, but a lot of that information hasn't changed. Being able to re-organize and re-use slides has cut down on the opportunity cost for me, and allowed me to also use materials I know well. I can probably give the conference talk right now using that slide deck and do a pretty decent job because the information hasn't radically changed, but to the end-user, it is still helpful. I know I can do it for my lawyer talks because I've been asked to give talks on short/no notice and just grabbed a version of a slide deck and did my thing.

--

Do you know how I know that I'm old...I'm using the term "slide decks". I don't know if the kids these days call them that, but powerpoint presentations are an easy tool while lecturing. They also help keep me on track because I can go down some random rabbit holes and cite various articles, but they may not be what I meant to cover. :laugh:

Hi,

I am curious to know others' hourly rates for teaching courses at PsyD programs.

I am a clinical licensed psychologist and am being paid $48 per hour (each 3 hour course per week pays me 4.35 hours of preparations so total is 7.35 hours per week being paid for a 3 credit course).

Thank you.

Hey, at least you are getting paid for prep time. I've never seen that in explicitly spelled out an adjunct contract.

Hey, at least you are getting paid for prep time. I've never seen that in explicitly spelled out an adjunct contract.

Yes, 4.35 hrs of pre/evaluations/other tasks for each 3 hrs of class per week.

Also for early career, I think that is the time to try things like adjunct teaching because the tradeoff is likely less economically impactful. You (I think?) and I are just past "early career" so the cost is greater because we have other avenues to generate revenue and we are comfortable with the areas we work in that making any big changes like adjusting scheduling to teach a class can be more of a PITA. As I mentioned earlier, I'm much more likely to give a one-off lecture on a topic of interest than I am to teach an entire course on it, as I've learned that the "benefits" to me are the interaction and enjoyment of lecturing, not the money. The economic impact is mitigated by being a one time thing, and I already know some of the challenges (for me) teaching a class would be at this point in my career. I don't have the patience to deal with students nor any administrators, so I actively avoid that scenario.

@hum1 may find a benefit in the experience, the side $, and to have an opportunity to educate the next generation of clinicians. Something else not touched on yet is developing multiple slide decks on a given topic provides a nice opportunity to tweak and expand into a conference talk, community talk, or even a marketing tool. While putting together slide decks there is probably information that is more appropriate for practicing clinicians that can be put aside for future use. I'll make extra slides that I put at the end of a given presentation, or I have the "extra" slides saved in the same cloud directory because I know I'd likely use them later.

One real-life example is I had multiple slide decks about all types of brain injuries I made during fellowship for resident talks and grand rounds. The prevalence data slides and basic definitions could be pulled directly into a slide deck for a community presentation on head injury. I've used some of those same slides for a conference talk, and a number of years later I use them now to educate lawyers about TBI. Sure, there are some data and citations I needed to update, but a lot of that information hasn't changed. Being able to re-organize and re-use slides has cut down on the opportunity cost for me, and allowed me to also use materials I know well. I can probably give the conference talk right now using that slide deck and do a pretty decent job because the information hasn't radically changed, but to the end-user, it is still helpful. I know I can do it for my lawyer talks because I've been asked to give talks on short/no notice and just grabbed a version of a slide deck and did my thing.

--

Do you know how I know that I'm old...I'm using the term "slide decks". I don't know if the kids these days call them that, but powerpoint presentations are an easy tool while lecturing. They also help keep me on track because I can go down some random rabbit holes and cite various articles, but they may not be what I meant to cover. :laugh:
Slide decks? 😂
That is too funny. I got all of my graduate training in this century so haven’t heard of those. I’m probably still older than you since I got a late start so I can still poke fun.
As far as not early career, correct. I have been licensed since 2009 so am in the prime; not so far out from school that I have forgotten everything and am totally out of touch, but have significant clinical experience to draw from.

This was in todays Postsecret and made me think of this thread.

faculty.jpg

5000 per course. All graduate school (separate MA and Ph.D programs on ABA). All courses are hybrid, so only 3, 3-4 hour live classes per MA course, and 2 hours every other week for PhD courses. All synchronous course are via zoom. For MA courses, I get TA if ten students, with another for every additional 5 students. Also get honorarium of 1k for semester for chairing a dissertation ( I'm currently chair on 3 Dissertations). For MA courses, I'm teaching a section of a course that someone else did the prep for. I just localize the materials/ examples. I teach 4 MA and 1 PhD courses per year. Relatively easy/enjoyable money, and keeps me up on and involved in the current research.

5000 per course. All graduate school (separate MA and Ph.D programs on ABA). All courses are hybrid, so only 3, 3-4 hour live classes per MA course, and 2 hours every other week for PhD courses. All synchronous course are via zoom. For MA courses, I get TA if ten students, with another for every additional 5 students. Also get honorarium of 1k for semester for chairing a dissertation ( I'm currently chair on 3 Dissertations). For MA courses, I'm teaching a section of a course that someone else did the prep for. I just localize the materials/ examples. I teach 4 MA and 1 PhD courses per year. Relatively easy/enjoyable money, and keeps me up on and involved in the current research.

I was slightly worried about falling behind on research when I stopped supervising. But, I would say I easily read 3-4 times as much research for legal work than I did as faculty for trainees. I still give the occasional presentation, but the audience changed for some of them (lawyers, MDs).

The thing with teaching will always be how consistent the demand is for the course and the amount of non-prep work. The problem with adjunct teaching is a question of how easy and consistent the money is. How much time do you have to put into office hours and such? How consistently are your courses in demand? With the advent of virtual teaching, no commute and minimal prep work in some subjects, one can shop around the same course to multiple universities with minimal effort. That said, anything related to teaching clinical skills (aka stuff that cannot be taught by non-clinical folks) should demand the money of at least a low cost psychotherapy session (say $70/hr, IMO).

The thing with teaching will always be how consistent the demand is for the course and the amount of non-prep work. The problem with adjunct teaching is a question of how easy and consistent the money is. How much time do you have to put into office hours and such? How consistently are your courses in demand? With the advent of virtual teaching, no commute and minimal prep work in some subjects, one can shop around the same course to multiple universities with minimal effort. That said, anything related to teaching clinical skills (aka stuff that cannot be taught by non-clinical folks) should demand the money of at least a low cost psychotherapy session (say $70/hr, IMO).
Yeah- I teach the same courses each year, with very little prep work needed on my part. As to the clinical stuff, the MA program has to be done in conjunction with the student receiving direct supervision in a fieldwork placement. Course materials is meant to refine knowledge and augment clinical experiences. Ph.D. program is largely non-clinical, as ABA clinical services is a MA level field. My stipend for each course, when projected hourly, is easily in line with or better than my hourly salary for the clinical work I do. I see your point, though. However, I just enjoy the teaching aspect of it and think 5k a semester to do it is more than fair for what I have to put in. That's good, because the graduate program- while housed at it's own higher ed institution- was started by and is affiliated with my day job, and teaching there is requirement of my day job contract. I also get a reduced minimum billable requirement, for what that's worth.

Yeah- I teach the same courses each year, with very little prep work needed on my part. As to the clinical stuff, the MA program has to be done in conjunction with the student receiving direct supervision in a fieldwork placement. Course materials is meant to refine knowledge and augment clinical experiences. Ph.D. program is largely non-clinical, as ABA clinical services is a MA level field. My stipend for each course, when projected hourly, is easily in line with or better than my hourly salary for the clinical work I do. I see your point, though. However, I just enjoy the teaching aspect of it and think 5k a semester to do it is more than fair for what I have to put in. That's good, because the graduate program- while housed at it's own higher ed institution- was started by and is affiliated with my day job, and teaching there is requirement of my day job contract. I also get a reduced minimum billable requirement, for what that's worth.

Certainly, that changes the calculus a bit. I was speaking to the OPs contract as well as yours. Everyone is certainly entitled to do as they please, but I have not been able to justify the time and headaches despite enjoying teaching when literally everything ese I could do pays better. Hell, rebuilding/repairing my own porch saved me more than that hourly.

Certainly, that changes the calculus a bit. I was speaking to the OPs contract as well as yours. Everyone is certainly entitled to do as they please, but I have not been able to justify the time and headaches despite enjoying teaching when literally everything ese I could do pays better. Hell, rebuilding/repairing my own porch saved me more than that hourly.
Of course- you need to take into account all factors. Before my current day job/teaching gig, I adjuncted in a different program. That one met every week in person, and paid $3700 per semester. It was a way for me to get grad teaching experience, network, etc. at the time. If they offered me that today, I'd chuckle and then ask if they were serious.

One would be wise to consider “office hours”, if teaching undergrad. That can be an additional couple of hours of your time.