ADHD: To disclose, or not to disclose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToothWZRD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did you disclose your ADHD on any residency applications/national licensing forms? The questions are worded like:

"Do you have any impairments that, with or without reasonable accommodation, prevent you from performing the essential functions of the training position?"

"Do you currently have any mental or physical condition that would compromise your ability to perform the clinical privileges requested or any other functions related to your request for privileges?

and

"Are you now or have you been habituated or addicted to depressants, stimulants, narcotics, other drugs or alcohol or any substances which may alter your behavior?"

While I don't feel like my condition would prevent me, or compromise my ability to provide care, I would hate to answer no, and have the drug screening report come out and raise questions (due to medications taken). I guess it's a fine line between what to report, and what not to report (to remain ethically clear, but avoid attracting unnecessary attention or revealing personal information).

Not sure if anyone knows anything more on the subject, but I've scoured the internet and still haven't found any clear answers. Thanks all

Members don't see this ad.

I think those questions are as much for you as they are the schools to which you're applying. They want you to do some real self reflection and question whether you're fit for the job. You don't want to get to third year,, over a hundred thousand in debt, and realize that you struggle significantly with communicating or physically operating on patients because of a condition or ailment. Schools absolutely do not want you to be unable to complete the program, so they ask these questions to screen for any potential problems in advance. The third question is asking whether you've had dependencies to drugs or alcohol, not if you require medication to manage a chronic disorder. I didn't have to do a drug screening test before school, your school requires that? If so, and the test were positive for amphetamine like Adderall, I'm not sure how that would come across without disclosing anything on the aadsas application.

For your own sake, you may want to consider these questions honestly: Do you feel you can adequately communicate with patients and colleagues with your ADHD? What are your symptoms of ADHD, or side effects of the medications you take to manage the disorder, and how will those practically affect your ability to do the job? Try to be honest with yourself and imagine what it will be like to be in the doctor's chair before you get there -- once you're actually to that point in real life there is no turning back with the kind of debt most of us are accumulating.

Reactions: 1 user
You are already a dental student. You need to move forward. In my opinion, you don't have to disclose your condition, otherwise you will be denied every opportunity. If later some questions arise, just say that you answered honestly to the best of your knowledge at the moment
Try to ask someone in disability services in your university, because it is a privacy issue as well.

Reactions: 1 user