ADHD - Specialities where it is possible to survive and thrive (with ADHD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onconc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any specialities where inattentive-ADHD people can survive (and thrive) ?

Asking for a extended family member. Their kid is interested in becoming a doctor. But she has also been diagnosed with inattentive ADHD. Now in pre-med track at college. I was asked to provide some suggestions for her career.

PS - Not asking about hyperactive ADHD. That is a whole other type.

Members don't see this ad.

Any of them with treatment.
I probably wouldn’t do something like Anesthesia where things can go south in a hurry if you zone out for 2 minutes, but realistically if the kid can make it through Premed + Med School they should be able to figure out whatever they want to do.

The only career I think you can’t do legally on treatment is airline pilot and astronaut.

I’m doing fine in Onc

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. To just confirm that I understood what you are saying - you have inattentive adhd ?
I think combined type but I don’t really pay attention (drumroll) to labels, I was diagnosed at like age 10 and I’ve always just been me.

I don’t think it really matters, if your friend’s kid has what it takes to do the premed track and take the MCAT etc. and pass medical school curriculum they should be fine to figure out whatever field they’re a good fit for.

Reactions: 3 users