ADCOMs of SDN - Med school faculty offered to write LOR, is it ok to ask them to 'put in a good word' instead? I interview in 2 weeks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sapphia

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing some research at my top choice and one of my co-investigators who faculty at the med school offered to write a letter of recommendation, however, I've already turned in the maximum number of LORs and it's too late in the process. Is it acceptable to ask them to put in a good word with the admissions office? I'm concerned this could be seen as skating the system and clearly don't want to compromise my application from an ethical standpoint. Thank you for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

The person that your person can get on the phone, likely has no real power. For example, my Dean of Admissions is involved only in the need of a tie (which happens about once in 1,000 interviews). LCME, the accrediting body, requires that admission decisions be made by a committee of faculty members so unless you can influence a majority of the voting members, a call can't make much of a difference.

Furthermore, there is no telling whether your co-investigator is highly respected or not and getting a "recommendation" from someone you know to be a bit of an a55 doesn't really help.

Reactions: 1 users
The person that your person can get on the phone, likely has no real power. For example, my Dean of Admissions is involved only in the need of a tie (which happens about once in 1,000 interviews). LCME, the accrediting body, requires that admission decisions be made by a committee of faculty members so unless you can influence a majority of the voting members, a call can't make much of a difference.

Furthermore, there is no telling whether your co-investigator is highly respected or not and getting a "recommendation" from someone you know to be a bit of an a55 doesn't really help.
Is the LCME not involved in DO schools? Goro often describes how his dean can veto or approve any committee decisions. Or is that allowed by the LCME.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask what that school's policy is for this type of stuff. I had something similar come up where a doc I worked with was an alumnus from a school, which I didn't know until after I was invited to interview. The school said instead of a LOR to just have them call/send an e-mail to admissions directly, and that would be added to my file. Was it a difference maker to getting accepted? Who knows. But I think it can only help, assuming they accept this type of correspondence.