Navy AD to 3-year HSCP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subs2doctor

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m a current active duty Navy LT with an approved contingent resignation to get out this summer to attend medical school. I was considering USUHS, HSCP, and HPSP, but have since decided to not do HPSP or attend USUHS. I just received news that I was not selected for the four year HSCP scholarship, but am an alternate. I was told that this also means that I was selected for the three year HSCP scholarship. Does this mean, if I accept, that I would fully get out this summer, be out for a year, then get back in at the start of my second academic year?

Anyone have any experience with this?

Additionally, I was 85% decided that I was going to get out and do medical school as a civilian anyway (mostly due to the unknowns associated with the upcoming mil medicine changes and how good the GI Bill is) If I were to tentatively accept this, does that mean I could spend a year as a civilian and give myself another year to decide if I wanted to do military medicine or not before committing?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about the Navy, but all of the conditional releases I've seen in the Army have been conditioned on acceptance to HPSP or USUHS. In other words, no four/seven year commitment added onto the left over obligation, means no release.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you or would you want to defer for one year?
No I wouldn’t want to defer starting medical school if that’s what you mean. But wouldn’t the 3-year scholarship imply that the benefits of the scholarship would begin in the second year of medical school?

Last edited:
Just stumbled on this tread....

subs2doctor,

I'm an USAF offer accepted to a few med schools starting in 2020 and am looking at Navy HSCP. Sorry to hear you weren't picked up this year. With only the 12 slots, how competitive is the selection? I have a free release this summer to cross-commission. Just looking at my options. Thanks for the help!