Actinic keratosis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray D. Ayshun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody treat this? Got a phone call, so no official records. Best I can tell, widespread actinic keratosis on the scalp no longer able to be dealt with by derm. I've seen reports of 45/25 for this, but wonder if anyone here has done something in this context.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have one rereferral for this coming up soon too. I originally said no in favour of trying PDT first. But pt has a lot of social and logistical barriers to routine derm appts and procedures so I’m considering as a way to reduce future appt appts. Pt has other lifespan limiting comorbidities and am likely to consider hypofraction and not 1.8’s, but there are case reports/series.

Reactions: 1 user
I have one rereferral for this coming up soon too. I originally said no in favour of trying PDT first. But pt has a lot of social and logistical barriers to routine derm appts and procedures so I’m considering as a way to reduce future appt appts. Pt has other lifespan limiting comorbidities and am likely to consider hypofraction and not 1.8’s, but there are case reports/series.

Where is it? I'd be more on board if arn electron. This sounds like arcs and a complicated bolus setup. This is not to say I'm not interested in doing this in the right situation.

Last edited:
The specific patient I am referring to has the AK in the scalp, if we treat would be with arcs+bolus, etc. I think the australian case series last I looked at it was all over body including extremities.

If arcs and bolus seem crazy, you could try brachytherapy with a custom made "helmet" made of flabs/mask material.

If arcs and bolus seem crazy, you could try brachytherapy with a custom made "helmet" made of flabs/mask material.
Haha. No, that seems crazy. I just like flat bolus. I'm simple. A swim cap with bolus or wet rags etc is above my pay grade. I'll do it, it's just getting late in the year and I was hoping to coast into January.

• Love
Haha. No, that seems crazy. I just like flat bolus. I'm simple. A swim cap with bolus or wet rags etc is above my pay grade. I'll do it, it's just getting late in the year and I was hoping to coast into January.
i think he means a dyi freiburg flap. believe it or not; i’ve done all of the options for similar cases (e- match, photon arc, freiburg). i think they are all pains in the ass and all have pros/cons. for this, a freiburg might be my pref but dealers choice; i think tangential photons can be executed well given most departments relative expertise

Unless you have a commercial freiberg flap, this process seems incredibly more intense than arcs w/ a mask (include potential couch kick as feasible), +/- aquaplast bolus. Honestly, with the incident angles seen w/ VMAT, benefit of anything more than 3mm bolus is likely minimal if you're doing "whole scalp"

Unless you have a commercial freiberg flap, this process seems incredibly more intense than arcs w/ a mask (include potential couch kick as feasible), +/- aquaplast bolus. Honestly, with the incident angles seen w/ VMAT, benefit of anything more than 3mm bolus is likely minimal if you're doing "whole scalp"
One of the physicists I used to work with did some work figuring out the ‘minimum’ amount of bolus needed for arcs, and yeah, I think it was about 3mm. We just use a cm of beeswax since it’s easier to keep standard across shells and extra bolus here has never hurt. Edit: I should also add it’s nice as ‘flash’ in case there’s something lumpy and growing.

We don’t have surface HDR where I’m at (yet) but hoping I can migrate some of these scalp plans to flaps for ease, though honestly my local workflow for these scalps is set up well so that’s it’s almost the same as any other case.

Reactions: 2 users
I am gonna flinch on AK...

My concern is missing an invasive ca that requires higher dose than 45 Gy.

Quick Googling found this interesting concern: "This case demonstrates an uncommon but substantial irreversible complication of field radiotherapy that affected further management and produced significant patient morbidity."

Field cancerisation and radiotherapy: a case of treatment complications

Radiation caused 10 cancers in 3.5 years? Not a natural progression of subclinical cancers in an aging patient? I get the concept of 'burning the radiation bridge too early' but to say the patient had acceleration of cancers growth due to radiation is.... an interesting conclusion for what is a case report.

3 dermatologists talking about the evils of radiation therapy. Cool, cool, cool.

Radiation caused 10 cancers in 3.5 years? Not a natural progression of subclinical cancers in an aging patient? I get the concept of 'burning the radiation bridge too early' but to say the patient had acceleration of cancers growth due to radiation is.... an interesting conclusion for what is a case report.

3 dermatologists talking about the evils of radiation therapy. Cool, cool, cool.
Also this. There is some (weak) evidence to show I creased amount of new primaries in skin irradiated fields I believe though. Some of it was perhaps moreso in electron beam with wider penumbras, but would have to dig up and look.