Acetabular cups? can someone help explain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luna777

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im working in Orthopaedics, working in a joint arthroplasty theatre. I am trying to learn the different types of acetabular cups. Can anyone please explain to me the difference between these or even point me in the right direction of a learning resource.

Hooded
Contemporary flanged
Rimfit
Constrained
etc.

Thank you to anyone who can help me.

Lou

Members don't see this ad.

Hooded- these liners have an extra lip of polyethylene that can protect against dislocation. With these there's a worry of the impingment on the femoral component leading to polyethylene wear

Constrained liners have something like a locking ring that keeps the head secure in the poly liner to prevent dislocation as well.

Flanged components give extra fixation in the ilium/ischium in cases of discontinuity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so so much for your reply! I've had a look at that website OrthoTraumaMD and it looks like it will be very helpful so thank you for that! Pompacil you have explained it perfectly! Thank you so much. Completely makes sense. You didn't mention rim fit though. Are flanged and rim fit the same? Unsure how they differ. Any ideas?

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate the help.

Lou

Thank you so so much for your reply! I've had a look at that website OrthoTraumaMD and it looks like it will be very helpful so thank you for that! Pompacil you have explained it perfectly! Thank you so much. Completely makes sense. You didn't mention rim fit though. Are flanged and rim fit the same? Unsure how they differ. Any ideas?

Thank you for your replies, really appreciate the help.

Lou

Definitely give Wheeless a look. That will explain better than me.