Technology Acer Laptops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

funkless

Apatheist, Anestheologist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Travelmate 803LCi for med school b/c it's supposed to be lightweight, really quick, and with a ~5 hr battery life. Cnet was crazy about it, but I've heard that Acer can be hit-or-miss.

Anyone have any experience with Acer? Your thoughts?

--Funkless

P.S. I'm also considering the IBM Thinkpad T41, but I'm still open to other suggestions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I had an acer that had tons of problems. The company would have me send it in, declare it repaired, and send it back to me unrepaired. We went through this multiple times (They had posession of the computer for nearly 4 months!)

Needless to say, I wouldn't get another.

DrMom said:
I had an acer that had tons of problems. The company would have me send it in, declare it repaired, and send it back to me unrepaired. We went through this multiple times (They had posession of the computer for nearly 4 months!)

Dude...I'm getting an Acer!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 302 and love it.

DrMom said:

Sounds like someone I know. She went through this same senario.

get a dell...especially fi you dont mind getting like a 1.5 or so (that would be processor speed)....they are very good and well worth the money....

if you have lotsa cash get alienware....j/k that is only for comp geeks with lotsa moola.....

but seriously.....with desktops you can change and upgrade readily but with laptops you cant as easily....the acer sisnt that chaep to begin with and second go with a well known computer company (dell, IBM, alienware, and if you must then toshiba, HP....)

Acer has pretty bad quality. I would go with the ThinkPad.