ACEP Resident Teaching Fellowship - Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Knife & Gun Club

EM/CCM PGY-4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program is offering to send me to ACEP’s Resident Teaching Fellowship, all expenses paid. Has anyone done this? Thoughts on if it’s worth the time?

It seems like it’d be a good networking opportunity for academics and maybe a little structured teaching on adult learning theory which would be pretty useful.

Only downside is using up a golden weekend I would otherwise be spending with my family…and supporting The Empire.

Members don't see this ad.

My program is offering to send me to ACEP’s Resident Teaching Fellowship, all expenses paid. Has anyone done this? Thoughts on if it’s worth the time?

It seems like it’d be a good networking opportunity for academics and maybe a little structured teaching on adult learning theory which would be pretty useful.

Only downside is using up a golden weekend I would otherwise be spending with my family…and supporting The Empire.

Any EM fellowship has to pass this test:

Will it allow me to reduce my general EM shifts, and therefore circadian rhythm disruption, significantly?

If so, then it's a good one.

The #1 risk to EM physicians' mental, physical and spiritual health is chronic circadian rhythm disruption. All other gripes and moans about EM (job market, pay, admin) pale in comparison.

90% of what you think causing your burnout is wrong. 90% of what is actually causing it, is chronic circadian rhythm disruption and the resultant Chronic Emergency Medicine Dysphoria. Add it to the upcoming DSM-VI.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Any EM fellowship has to pass this test:

Will it allow me to reduce my general EM shifts, and therefore circadian rhythm disruption, significantly?

If so, then it's a good one.

The #1 (#2, #3 and #4) risks to EM physicians' mental, physical and spiritual health is chronic circadian rhythm disruption. All other gripes and moans about EM (job market, pay, admin) pale in comparison.

90% of what you think causing your burnout is wrong. 90% of what is actually causing it, is chronic circadian rhythm disruption and the resultant Chronic Emergency Medicine Dysphoria. Add it to the upcoming DSM-VI.
Agree with everything you said, except OP is asking about a weekend course on teaching. "Fellowship" in this case is a grossly incorrect misnomer.

OP, as to your question: I have no personal experience with this program. It at worst will be a little line item on your resume that some academic program might care about. Community shops will not care one iota.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it in a nice city? can you take your family there and get a little R&R during downtime? If so, I'd consider that a win win and do it....

Agree with everything you said, except OP is asking about a weekend course on teaching. "Fellowship" in this case is a grossly incorrect misnomer.

OP, as to your question: I have no personal experience with this program. It at worst will be a little line item on your resume that some academic program might care about. Community shops will not care one iota.
From what the ad shows, a more accurate term than "fellowship" would be "expensive CME conference."

To me, a fellowship is a 1 or more years training program where you are, 1) paid for your time, and 2) get an ACGME-accredited subspecialty board certification or eligibility at the end.

This looks more like a weekend course for program directors where you're charged $2,150 and get 35.75 hours of CME. I suppose if you're a PD or assistant PD and you can get your academic institution to pay for it, then why not. But it seems to me the use of the term "fellowship" appears to be what I'd call "creative advertising."

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Yea it’s more akin to a conference than a “fellowship.” Not sure why they chose to call it a fellowship as it doesn’t provide a degree or certification. Does seem like a good way to make some connections though.

I’m aware community shops won’t care. I’m still holding out hope that I’d be able to find an academic gig after residency, but the market is pretty darn grim.

I’d counter that’ll you do it but not at the expense of a weekend off…

The ACEP teaching fellowship will look good on a CV for an academic job.

Any other actual fellowship will look 100x better.

I’m not saying the gain is nothing, but maybe not worth it for most people. The job market for academics for non fellowship trained, non former chiefs is pretty bad at this point though.

Meh I wouldn't bother unless you're really interested in the conference.

Most department chairs prefer to hire faculty with actual fellowship training.

Edit: Confused this for the 2 week ACEP Teaching fellowship.

There's a ton of these little professional development courses for teaching, chiefs, etc at the institutional, regional, and national level. At least this one has a national brand associated with it. It's another little bullet on your CV for the fellowship and job application, some networking, and some training in a skill that frankly a lot of people suck at and is particularly hard to do well in the ED. I wouldn't cancel a vacation trip for it but I'd give up a free weekend for it if my goal was academics.

Last edited:
I know this doesn't answer your question about this specific conference, but I did ACEP's leadership and advocacy conference my intern year. I got a paid trip to DC, got to network and drink with a bunch of other EM doctors and residents, got to meet/lobby with several congressman, and went to some fancy-ass parties. It was fun, I learned a ton, and I made some great connections that helped with job searches when leaving residency. If your residency is willing to pay for it and it is in a cool city, and you have no reason not to, I recommend doing it.