Other OT-Related Information Accreditation Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xfutureOTDx

Reaction score
Hello!
I was wondering how important accreditation status is when deciding which OT school to attend? My top choice is currently "candidacy status" because they are shifting from a MS program to an OTD program? Their MS program was already accredited. Does accreditation status factor into anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The risk of going to a program that is not accredited, is paying to go to the school and not being able to sit for the NBCOT and actually become an OT. If they dont become accredited before you graduate then you may have wasted a ton of money to not become and OT. With that being said, there are not many programs that do not get accredited. But it is always a risk!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I recall Rush saying that if for any reason they didn't pass accreditation status for the OTD program that all the students currently enrolled would graduate with the accredited masters degree and still be able to sit for the exam. I'm not sure if that's how all universities are however and it is definitely worth asking admissions.