Accepted today to Waterloo!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pre_opt_sku

2010 O.D.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They have started to give out early acceptances...I got an early acceptance today via e mail!! If anyone is on the waitlist for ICO, I will be giving up my seat there...as well as a scholarship to ICO. Good luck to other waterloo applicants!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I got an offer today too... now I can stop worrying about not getting an interview. Time to celebrate :)

shedsy said:
Congrats! I got an offer today too... now I can stop worrying about not getting an interview. Time to celebrate :)

Congratulations to you too future classmate!!! Definitely time to celebrate!

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm so happy for you two!

Hopefully I'll see you next year!

pre_opt_sku (if this is too personal you don't have to answer) but with your stats, did you get a scholarship to waterloo?

WOW congrats to both of you! that's great..hope to join you guys too *cross my fingers* but i am super worried ahhh

shedsy..if you don't mind sharing..what were your stats?

Congrats.

I hope I get your scholarship...

GPA: 92ish

OAT AA: 380
OAT TS: 400

surgical_tomato said:
i'm so happy for you two!

Hopefully I'll see you next year!

pre_opt_sku (if this is too personal you don't have to answer) but with your stats, did you get a scholarship to waterloo?

I'm not even sure what is available for entering students...I didn't even look into it. I haven't applied for anything and I haven't been given a scholarship either.

Congratulations. Did ICO offer you a scholarship or did you apply? I'd love to get a scholarship :/

ericlemonster said:
Congratulations. Did ICO offer you a scholarship or did you apply? I'd love to get a scholarship :/

You're autmotatically consirdred fpr scholarships when they go through you application. I was given my ICO scholarship when they accepted me.

Oh, wow!! I just got the email too. Here I was worried about not getting an interview, and now all of a sudden I'm in. Now I just have to decide if I really want to do optometry....

Hey guys, congrats! I'm at waterloo right now class of 2009 so I should be seeing you all next year. If you have any questions post them up and maybe everyone can benefit from the answers. Congrats again to those who have been accepted and for those who haven't keep those fingers crossed

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people get early acceptances?

hutch said:
Does anyone know how many people get early acceptances?

Wow whats up with this yr. All of a sudden so many people are getting acceptances without interviews. Are you guys external applicatants? (Not from UW)

ML1983 said:
Wow whats up with this yr. All of a sudden so many people are getting acceptances without interviews. Are you guys external applicatants? (Not from UW)

Yes, I was an external applicant (from SK)

congrats!! seems like waterloo has given out so many acceptances already..not looking good for me :( but good for you guys tho, it's really great!! maybe all the keeners are just on SDN and you guys are the only early acceptances given out -- then in retrospect, they haven't given that many out yet --> optimistic wishing :D

ML1983 said:
I'm an internal applicant.

Hello everyone, just one quick question...generally what's the average age of students (from past years) in the entering class of optometry at waterloo?

The average age is around 23, with a range from the youngest being 19 up till 30 years old.

Looman: who are you? I'm in your class.

Why are you reading this forum and not studying?

Hi, I just discovered this forum. It seems that there aren't many forums for university of waterloo optometry applicants... but I am super glad to have found this one:)

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances so far!!! That is SO awesome!

So, my question is this: I had an interview in waterloo this year and I was just wondering, what are your chances of getting in if you have had an interview? Can anyone shed light on what has happened in the the past?

Thanks

pre_opt_sku said:
They have started to give out early acceptances...I got an early acceptance today via e mail!! If anyone is on the waitlist for ICO, I will be giving up my seat there...as well as a scholarship to ICO. Good luck to other waterloo applicants!!

up till now i didnt even kno abt waterloo. its in canada rite? can US students go and still get a job in the US? how does it work?

diva15 said:
up till now i didnt even kno abt waterloo. its in canada rite? can US students go and still get a job in the US? how does it work?

From what I've heard... Waterloo is a b*tch to get into for Canadians students... I don't think Americans stand a chance!

Taken directly from the Waterloo website: http://www.optometry.uwaterloo.ca/

citizenship
You must be a Canadian citizen (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) or legal resident of Canada for a minimum of twelve months prior to the first day of registration of your first term (September). In special situations, a limited number of international students (UW's International Student page) studying on student visas may be considered for admission.

That is what I've heard too... that Waterloo is practically impossible to get into :eek:

There is definitely a much better chance of getting into a US school than waterloo.

eye_hope said:
Hi, I just discovered this forum. It seems that there aren't many forums for university of waterloo optometry applicants... but I am super glad to have found this one:)

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances so far!!! That is SO awesome!

So, my question is this: I had an interview in waterloo this year and I was just wondering, what are your chances of getting in if you have had an interview? Can anyone shed light on what has happened in the the past?

Thanks

hi eye_hope; I interviewed at waterloo also this year and they informed me that they interview about 1/3 of the applicant pool (they didn't have the exact number b/c the whole process is "blind" - no pun intended). With that being said your interview receives a score just as do all your other materials ie gpa, OAT, essay, references, etc. Then I assume you are given a composite score (sum of the individual scores) and those with the highest scores are accepted, although I must say I'm not 100% sure how this last portion works.

~jimmy

Hey guys,

I was told by Waterloo that not having an interview does not adversly affect your chances of getting in. I couldn't make it to my interview the first time around because of a snow storm, but they told me not to worry about it. I wanted to reschedule it, so I went to Waterloo for my interview but during the mess of it all Waterloo assured me that it doesn't negatively affect you to not have an interview...but it does help because they learn more about you.... :confused:
Anyways...
anyone else counting down the days til June to hear back??

jimmyopto said:
hi eye_hope; I interviewed at waterloo also this year and they informed me that they interview about 1/3 of the applicant pool (they didn't have the exact number b/c the whole process is "blind" - no pun intended). With that being said your interview receives a score just as do all your other materials ie gpa, OAT, essay, references, etc. Then I assume you are given a composite score (sum of the individual scores) and those with the highest scores are accepted, although I must say I'm not 100% sure how this last portion works.

~jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, that was helpful. Wow, so assuming that approximately 250 people applied again this year, around 80 people received interviews. I was always under the impression that they did very few interviews. Interesting to know.

Let the countdown begin!

eye_hope said:
Thanks Jimmy, that was helpful. Wow, so assuming that approximately 250 people applied again this year, around 80 people received interviews. I was always under the impression that they did very few interviews. Interesting to know.

Let the countdown begin!
I went to the information session they held in late January, since I'm a student at UW. They said that they interview about half of the applicant pool, and expected around 300 total applications this year. So if you go by those numbers, you're looking at about 150 interviews.

Chuffsla said:
I went to the information session they held in late January, since I'm a student at UW. They said that they interview about half of the applicant pool, and expected around 300 total applications this year. So if you go by those numbers, you're looking at about 150 interviews.

Interesting. You could very well be right since my interviewers expressed to me that they did not know the exact number of applicants nor how many of those were invited for an interview - they were just commenting on past experience (ie 1/3).

Depending on how many ppl are accepted without an interview it would make sense to interview more than 80 ppl (as 80 is the approx entering class size) so it would seem likely that the number of applicants interviewed would be closer to 150. This gives them roughly 2 applicants for every seat (not including those pre accepted).

~jimmy

Anyone have any idea when we start hearing back from waterloo? I wish they would give us a set date so we aren't just sitting wondering...

eye_hope said:
Anyone have any idea when we start hearing back from waterloo? I wish they would give us a set date so we aren't just sitting wondering...

I believe acceptances/rejections are mailed out early june this year (as opposed to early july last year). As for a specific date I don't know but usually if you give Marie a 'ring she will let you know what day they will be mailed out.

~jimmy

jimmyopto said:
I believe acceptances/rejections are mailed out early june this year (as opposed to early july last year). As for a specific date I don't know but usually if you give Marie a 'ring she will let you know what day they will be mailed out.

~jimmy

Thanks again Jimmy. I knew that it was supposed to be early June, but it would be good to have a set date. However, calling Marie is a good idea and perhaps I will do that at the end of the first week of June if I still haven't heard back from them.

Hi guys...

Has anyone else received an email? I got one yesterday morning, but so far, I haven't heard of anyone else getting one. I hope it's not a mistake! :eek:

schmebbie said:
Hi guys...

Has anyone else received an email? I got one yesterday morning, but so far, I haven't heard of anyone else getting one. I hope it's not a mistake! :eek:

Hi schmebbie; I haven't heard of ppl getting emails except the odd person that would get one pre interview to let them know they were accepted (and by email I presume were talking about an offer of addmissions email). Hopefully its not fake, congratulations if it isn't.

~jimmy

schmebbie said:
Hi guys...

I also got one yesterday morning - congrats, Schmebbie! See you this fall :D

Hey guys who were accepted - congrats! :D
What are your stats?

Nru1 said:
I also got one yesterday morning - congrats, Schmebbie! See you this fall :D

Those of you who have received the email acceptances are you ontario applicants or out-of-province?

All this talk had me worried (still am...) so I called Waterloo and spoke to Marie (not Ms. Amodeo - I believe that this Marie works at the front desk of the school). She said that everything will be sent out in the mail (acceptances and rejections) in the next two weeks. She said she didnt know anything about emails.
:confused:
The waiting continues....

I'm sure your e mails are real e mails and I would not worry! I think all of the early acceptances were sent via e mail and then something came in the mail a week or so later. I'm not sure why it would be any different for you guys. If you got an e mail, congratulations and I look forward to meeting you guys in the fall!! :D
If you didn't get an e mail, I wouldn't lose hope..... Waterloo's admission office is very disorganized. I'm keeping my fingers crosses for all of you guys! :luck:

If you didn't get an e mail, I wouldn't lose hope..... Waterloo's admission office is very disorganized. I'm keeping my fingers crosses for all of you guys! :luck:[/QUOTE]

hahahah thanks pre_opt_sku!
:)

hutch said:
Hey guys who were accepted - congrats! :D
What are your stats?
Thanks, Hutch ... here are my stats:
GPA: 3.8
OAT - AA: 380
OAT - TS: 400

jimmyopto said:
Those of you who have received the email acceptances are you ontario applicants or out-of-province?
I'm out-of-province

Where are you guys from, Nru and pre-opt-sku?

Jimmy, I'm from Ontario

Hutch, my GPA is mid 80's, OAT 360

schmebbie said:
Where are you guys from, Nru and pre-opt-sku?

Jimmy, I'm from Ontario

Hutch, my GPA is mid 80's, OAT 360

I'm from Regina :)

Waterloo's admission office is very disorganized
Ain't that the truth. I hate dealing with them. They're so slow to answer questions, or they don't bother answering at all. They're almost standoffish.

Anyway, I got early acceptance and the first I heard about it was via email. I got the paper copy in the mail the following week.

wow, denied again. any US schools still taking stragglers?

pre_opt_sku said:
Wow, really? Optometry school? In Canada? That's quite an accomplishment.

hey guys... lots of posts since the last time I checked!

I also got an acceptance on June 1st via email and then on June 2nd, I received an xpresspost package detailing 'what to do next.' I do think it IS sort of random how they send out the acceptances...
but I have my fingers crossed for the rest of you all! And congrats to everyone who has received acceptances so far! I look forward to meeting you all in September! :D