Coursework & Fieldwork Accepted into OT school--now what?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTjourney

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Now that applications are over and most of us are just playing the waiting game, I wanted to know how I can spend my downtime more efficiently before school starts.

Are there any specific topics I should review? I know anatomy and physiology are the big ones, but can anyone narrow down specific sections or areas to look at? What are things that I should look at to make my transition into OT school more smooth?

Members don't see this ad.

I would take a look at what courses will be offered the first semester you are in school and review those topics beforehand! I was accepted into USciences and I know I will be taking Neuroscience in the summer session, so that's what I'm going to start to review in the meantime! Best of luck :)

I would take a look at what courses will be offered the first semester you are in school and review those topics beforehand! I was accepted into USciences and I know I will be taking Neuroscience in the summer session, so that's what I'm going to start to review in the meantime! Best of luck :)
That's a great idea to look into their curriculum!

How are you tackling neuroscience? Any specific topics you're reviewing? I thought about e-mailing for the syllabus, but I'll probably seem like I'm doing way too much lol

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a great idea to look into their curriculum!

How are you tackling neuroscience? Any specific topics you're reviewing? I thought about e-mailing for the syllabus, but I'll probably seem like I'm doing way too much lol
I was also accepted to USciences and I'm trying to prepare myself for neuro becuase it is very challenging. I just started reviewing my anatomy and psychology notes because we will be working with real brains in lab at PCOM. Watching YouTube videos is also helpful with refreshing topics about the nervous system.

Reactions: 1 user
I think they'd be excited about your enthusiasm! haha I actually have these flashcards for anatomy that come with colored pencils to color code different areas of each body part, including the brain (I'm a super visual person) so those seem to really help me! They're a good way to review anatomy in general plus neuroanatomy as well! Here's the link: Amazon product

I also took a Motor Control and Learning course in undergrad that really went in depth with neuroscience (reaction time, skill transfer, part-whole learning, etc.). I still have the textbook (called Motor Learning and Performance; 5th edition by Schmidt and Lee) and old powerpoints so I'll review those things as well. I may email my advisor to see what the textbook is for the neuroscience course so I can narrow down my review and maybe get a jump start since there's SO much to know about that! I probably seem too eager, but I'm just so excited about beginning this journey and want to make sure I have everything I need to make it great! haha