Accelerated PharmD with low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intl student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Morning,
I am an international student holding a BS of Pharmaceutical Sciences from a non-us institution with a low GPA (2.7)

Any recommendations for accelerated pharmd programs accept low GPAs?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I only know one school that I interviewed in accepting international student because one of my fellow interviewee is from Canada and she said it is the only school that accept her. The school was Pacific University of Oregon.

Morning,
I am an international student holding a BS of Pharmaceutical Sciences from a non-us institution with a low GPA (2.7)

Any recommendations for accelerated pharmd programs accept low GPAs?

Thanks.
Not many schools take international candidates and even if they accept you how are you going find job afterwords? I have never heard any chain sponoring international candidates for jobs. Why not pursue something in Engineering or business, you have better shot getting sponsored in those fields. Also work on improving your GPA if you plan on going to good reputable school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 15 schools and ive gotten interview invites to 11 of them. And im super excited to go to an american school! My gpa is 3.67 and im a Canadian citizen (so technically an international student) so there are lots of schools in America that will accept international applicants!! As for your stats I'd recommend raising your gpa to be competitive for more schools but as far as i know roosevelt offers an accelerated program and so does mcphs (?).

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I applied to 15 schools and ive gotten interview invites to 11 of them. And im super excited to go to an american school! My gpa is 3.67 and im a Canadian citizen (so technically an international student) so there are lots of schools in America that will accept international applicants!! As for your stats I'd recommend raising your gpa to be competitive for more schools but as far as i know roosevelt offers an accelerated program and so does mcphs (?).

Let me guess all those 15 schools are private??? Even if you get accepted pretty sure you are not eligible for federal loans.. OP needs to think about this. May be you or youe family is rich but not all international applicant are that. And how about getting jobs? In your case you can go back to Canada and practice there but thats not case with OP. And anyways i heard from someone that pharmacy market in Canada sucks and same is going on in US.

Hi,
I only know one school that I interviewed in accepting international student because one of my fellow interviewee is from Canada and she said it is the only school that accept her. The school was Pacific University of Oregon.

50K a year tuition!!!! Not including cost of living!!!! Go to med school gal.

Not many schools take international candidates and even if they accept you how are you going find job afterwords? I have never heard any chain sponoring international candidates for jobs. Why not pursue something in Engineering or business, you have better shot getting sponsored in those fields. Also work on improving your GPA if you plan on going to good reputable school!

The chains stopped sponsoring international candidates in 2010 when the pharmacist shortage ended.

I agree, I would go toward business, engineering, computer science, etc. that is actually in demand, thus making you more likely to get sponsored and does not cost $50k/year in tuition.

Let me guess all those 15 schools are private??? Even if you get accepted pretty sure you are not eligible for federal loans.. OP needs to think about this. May be you or youe family is rich but not all international applicant are that. And how about getting jobs? In your case you can go back to Canada and practice there but thats not case with OP. And anyways i heard from someone that pharmacy market in Canada sucks and same is going on in US.
Nope! I got into public schools as well! Buffalo, Kentucky, Colorado, and Michigan to name a few. In fact i actually decided to attend michigan this fall!! And as far as job market is concerned its slightly different here and am not that concerned because i love the profession. Just gave my 2 cents since the OP is also an international applicant

The international students I knew had their parents pay 100% of their tuition and living expenses.

50K a year tuition!!!! Not including cost of living!!!! Go to med school gal.
Hi,
I decided going to pharmacy school because I wanted to be a pharmacist. I enjoy working in team, talking to people and learning chemistry. Yes 50k a year is expensive and should not be taken lightly, but it is the choice i made. I would not go to medical school where I end up doing something I do not like.

Hi,
I decided going to pharmacy school because I wanted to be a pharmacist. I enjoy working in team, talking to people and learning chemistry. Yes 50k a year is expensive and should not be taken lightly, but it is the choice i made. I would not go to medical school where I end up doing something I do not like.
Work in retail pharmacy then you would get to know what pharmacy is.. Working in team, talking to people and learning chemistry?? Really ???? Find some better reason to justify your choice.. Start working in retail pharmacy and you would know how much you will enjoy "talking" to people.. Sorry if i sound harsh but it seems many pre pharmers don't have real understanding of what pharmacy actually is.. Sadly, schools are taking advantage of such people..

Last edited:
Work in retail pharmacy then you would get to know what pharmacy is.. Working in team, talking to people and learning chemistry?? Really ???? Find some better reason to justify your choice.. Start working in retail pharmacy and you would know how much you will enjoy "talking" to people.. Sorry if i sound harsh but it seems many pre pharmers don't have real understanding of what pharmacy actually is.. Sadly, schools are taking advantage of such people..
Hi,
I never mention that I am going to work in retail pharmacy in the first place, so please do not assume that I want to become a retail pharmacist. I am planning to be a compounding pharmacist or a clinical pharmacist. Those careers do justify my desire to become a pharmacist. I did my research through friends who are pharmacists and pharmacy students. I understand your concern but I do not going to do something without prior knowledge and careful decision. Please tell me about yourself and what you do that make you said those words.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,
I never mention that I am going to work in retail pharmacy in the first place, so please do not assume that I want to become a retail pharmacist. I am planning to be a compounding pharmacist or a clinical pharmacist. Those careers do justify my desire to become a pharmacist. I did my research through friends who are pharmacists and pharmacy students. I understand your concern but I do not going to do something without prior knowledge and careful decision. Please tell me about yourself and what you do that make you said those words.

Another 'I am not going into retail' pre-pharmacy student. How so noble. but the reality is most jobs and most of the good money is in retail.

Hi,

I hear a lot of this nonsense "I want to work as a member of a team" from people who have never seen what pharmacy is like in the hospital setting. Have you ever worked in the hospital setting? The clinical/staff pharmacists are usually forced to work in the basement of the hospital. This is far and away from the rest of the medical staff. And don't be fooled by the pharmacy schools who tell you that you will be some vital member of some healthcare team. The real world of healthcare does not work in that way.

If you want teamwork, then go nursing. I see a lot more teamwork when it comes to nurses than pharmacists. In pharmacy, you are there to verify medication orders and make suggestions to the physicians and practitioners. And it is far from glamorous. You will be constantly getting calls by nurses who want their patients meds NOW!!! You will also have to be humble to the almighty physicians when you try to make a suggestion to them. They may or may not listen to you.

And clinical pharmacy? There are more PGY-1 and PGY-2 grads than clinical jobs. And don't be fooled by the goofy 'clinical pharmacist' moniker. You will not be a prescribing any meds. You will most definitely not be a doctor. You may wear some goofy white coat and go meet patients. But none of that is paid for by the insurance companies. That facade they put on is an act that the staff pharmacists and the rest of the hospital staff can see through. And that big treatment plan that you write up? The physician may or may not follow it.

Physicians, NPs, and PAs are reimbursed for diagnosing and treating patients. Pharmacists are not. We are reimbursed primarily by dispensing medications. Do you know the difference?

And 50K an year is waaaaaaaay too much for a pharmacy school education. You are better off going to a DO school. I'm assuming you couldn't get into a more reputable program (something more affordable.)

Last edited: