Academic vs Hybrid vs PP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MadRadLad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get some discussion going on the pros/cons of these for myself and future trainees. For some starting points of talking:

Academia doesn't seem to be very chill anymore but if you have good fellows that makes life easier. There's the possibility of skills outside your specialty atrophying a bit too. For those who like it there is the engagement of working with trainees and teaching others, maybe getting to know other clinical services better and doing more advanced imaging or procedures.

Employed non-PE hybrid gigs seem to have a good middle ground (glass half full) or the worst of both worlds (glass half empty). Better pay and vacation, but not as much resident/fellow scut help and not as much pay or vacation as PP. But it can be a way to scratch both itches a bit. With all the mergers and consolidations recently there may be more stability here but the downside is that you have no say in the corporate world and they can change the terms negatively at a moment's notice.

PP was the gold standard (literally) but is less of a cash cow than it was. But if money is what you seek the sky seems to be the limit and benefits. Less PPs seem to have secondary income streams of imaging centers nowadays. But in the end you eat what you kill (at least as a group) and if you work more, you make more. You're only responsible to yourself and your partners so if it's well run this seems to be the best setup. However with billing cuts and the shortage, PP rads seem extremely overworked everywhere, to the point where I'm not sure if the money is worth it. Some of the numbers i've seen thrown around of 15-18k RVUs seems mind numbing and risky malpractice-wise, and you're basically grinding away without much interaction in most specialties.

If any attendings/partners or recent graduates want to share their perspective that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hoping to get some discussion going on the pros/cons of these for myself and future trainees. For some starting points of talking:

Academia doesn't seem to be very chill anymore but if you have good fellows that makes life easier. There's the possibility of skills outside your specialty atrophying a bit too. For those who like it there is the engagement of working with trainees and teaching others, maybe getting to know other clinical services better and doing more advanced imaging or procedures.

Employed non-PE hybrid gigs seem to have a good middle ground (glass half full) or the worst of both worlds (glass half empty). Better pay and vacation, but not as much resident/fellow scut help and not as much pay or vacation as PP. But it can be a way to scratch both itches a bit. With all the mergers and consolidations recently there may be more stability here but the downside is that you have no say in the corporate world and they can change the terms negatively at a moment's notice.

PP was the gold standard (literally) but is less of a cash cow than it was. But if money is what you seek the sky seems to be the limit and benefits. Less PPs seem to have secondary income streams of imaging centers nowadays. But in the end you eat what you kill (at least as a group) and if you work more, you make more. You're only responsible to yourself and your partners so if it's well run this seems to be the best setup. However with billing cuts and the shortage, PP rads seem extremely overworked everywhere, to the point where I'm not sure if the money is worth it. Some of the numbers i've seen thrown around of 15-18k RVUs seems mind numbing and risky malpractice-wise, and you're basically grinding away without much interaction in most specialties.

If any attendings/partners or recent graduates want to share their perspective that would be great.

Can you post some numbers wrt income for each type of setting?

Can you post some numbers wrt income for each type of setting?

Cognovi's link seems fairly accurate, but there is a lot of variance by location. Rural midwest PP (WI, OH) can pay quite well, maybe 25-30% more than average albeit they do work pretty hard. Coastal academics I've seen start in the 300s but you might get more fellows to do work for you. Also very different in academics if you have grant funding tenure track or if you're more of the clinical side.

Reactions: 1 users