Abstracts and CVs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CostalShowers

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently, I helped co-author an abstract that was excepted for oral presentation at a conference and will be published by the society organizing the conference. It is unlikely, however, that I will actually help with the oral presentation of the abstract at the conference.

If I end up not presenting, then how do a list this on my CV? As a published abstract? As an abstact and oral presentation (noting during interviews that i didn't do the presenting)? As something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're name is on it you can list it. I don't know of a good way to differentiate presentations you made vs. ones with your name on it. Someone please correct me if there is an easy way. I've just assumed that if I'm listed as first author that I did the presenting and that I may not have if I'm second or later.

my name was on a poster for a conference I could not attend, but I still list it under presentations (in my case in the APA format). I wouldn't worry about anything else but your name being submitted as part of the work.

Members don't see this ad :)
I added another section to my CV for presentations, listing the abstract title, conference name, date and location.

glenn503 said:
I added another section to my CV for presentations, listing the abstract title, conference name, date and location.

I usually don't put abstracts on my CV if I'm not first author, but if you want to beef up the CV, put it down. I wouldn't say anything about it being presented.

I've seen a number of CVs list the following sections:

- Abstracts, Posters & Presentations
- Publications

I imagine you can slice it up as much as you want, but most readers will see that you made some contributions to a project early on (first category) and was able to contribute through to successful publication for the second category.

The specific scenario that you mention - being an author on the abstract/presentation, but then the journal of the meeting's society accepting the manuscript - would just mean that you should list it as an abstract now, then move it as co-author on the manuscript once published.

Could someone post/PM an example of how they presented a publication pending and a poster presentation in their CV?

I have both for the same study and not really sure how would be best to present it in my resume.

Thanks a lot,

Lance

I've done it two ways:

Adcadet, A. A psychoanalysis of SDN users: they're all crazy. Psychopathology Today. Accepted for publication on May 25, 2006. Manuscript number PPT-01234.R2.

- or -

Adcadet, A. A psychoanalysis of SDN users: they're all crazy. Accepted for publication by Psychopathology Today on May 25, 2006. Manuscript number PPT-01234.R2.

I know some people leave out the date and manuscript number, but I put it in just to make it as clear as possible that I'm not making anything up. And of course, as soon as it's given an issue and page assignment you can put that in, even if its 6 months in the future.

Adcadet, A. Crazy is as crazy does: an analysis of SDN users. Poster presentation at the American Institute for the Advancement of Crazy, Hollywood, California, April 24-25, 2006.

I think there are a few different ways of listing posters, oral presentations, and publications. But from what I've noticed, as long as it's an understanable, consistent, and somewhat standard format you'll be fine.

Lanced said:
Could someone post/PM an example of how they presented a publication pending and a poster presentation in their CV?

I have both for the same study and not really sure how would be best to present it in my resume.

Thanks a lot,

Lance
This is what I did for a situation where I wanted to mention a talk and publication. Not sure it's an official style, but gets the point across I think.

1. Doane AS, Danso M, Donaton M, Lal P, Zhang L, Hudis C, Gerald WL. An estrogen receptor negative breast cancer subset with over expression of hormone responsive genes. Plenary session presentation at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, December 2005. Presentation webcast available at www.sabcs.org. Abstract publication: Breast Cancer Res Treat 2005, Vol. 94, Supp. 1, pp S18.

Thanks, that's helpful.

thanks guys! i too was wondering how to properly cite a poster presentation/abstract. :)