ABPN article pathway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drcuddles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, did anyone recently do the ABPN recertification article pathway? How did you find the difficulty of the articles. Can I choose the subjects or they test everything similar to the boards exam? How much time and effort did it take to complete? Any insight would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing the article pathway. I have only two articles left before completing the full 30 requirement.

IMO, the articles and the associated questions are not difficult at all.

It's basically open book. You also have a buffer for how many quizzes you can get wrong. However, if you miss too many, there won't be enough free articles for you to do. Overall, it's way less stressful compared to a whole day exam every 10 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed one of the cancer articles. The quizzes are generally easy but you cannot always readily ctrl+F answers.

I did a 3 year cycle of article based re-cert for added Qual in CNP (previously did 2 ten year exam cycles). The questions require close reading/ ctrl/F. Sometimes the questions are screwy and I have gotten notifications that some questions have been thrown out meaning that I wound up doing one more exam than I needed to.

My biggest gripe is that they grant no CME credit for state board licensure requirements. I feel like they should provide a useful service for the unnecessarily high yearly fee.

Reactions: 1 user
Never heard of this. Can you please explain more?

The website explains a ton of it. Basically, these boards are monopoly, the only way to maintain certification is to pay them and do unnecessary work, although they want your money much more than your competence.

So heroic doctors created an alternative board. This board only requires CME and a nominal fee. Certify through that, and you are board certified, and no one can say anything against you. (Except the evil boards will call your hospital to rat you out)

Reactions: 1 user
Would love to see this take off. The whole system is so predatory toward physicians. I feel like we're being siphoned at every turn.

Reactions: 1 users