About national health service corp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polycon7

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about this service scholarship? Does anyone know of people who received it? It pays for all tuition, fees, and a monthly stipend and you repay it through working in primary care in an underserved area.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your thoughts about this service scholarship? Does anyone know of people who received it? It pays for all tuition, fees, and a monthly stipend and you repay it through working in primary care in an underserved area.

as far as I know, it only pays tuition...nothing else...thats why I wouldnt do it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Now that this thread has been moved to the appropriate forum, you'll find other threads on this which have lots of info, but you're correct in the basics.

I know several people who are scholars--two current and one past. I'm applying for it myself--this year will be round two for me. Everyone's opinion basically boils down to this: it's a great deal if you're absolutely sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you're entering primary care. If you're certain of this and you don't mind the "opportunity" of being placed somewhere beyond your control, then I don't see how you can go wrong with the NHSC.

I know several people who are scholars--two current and one past. I'm applying for it myself--this year will be round two for me. Everyone's opinion basically boils down to this: it's a great deal if you're absolutely sure, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that you're entering primary care. If you're certain of this and you don't mind the "opportunity" of being placed somewhere beyond your control, then I don't see how you can go wrong with the NHSC.

The current listing of sites for NHSC scholars as of March 8, 2007.

Not bad, really. You go to where there is the greatest need for your skill sets.

http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/jobs/sear...tat=&Cate=HP&Weeks=&CHC=&StartRow=1&PageNum=1

How do you request location and what is the probability of getting that location?

How do you request location and what is the probability of getting that location?

I have asked this on a few threads, and I haven't seen an answer. The main NHSC thread is so long, I am sure someone answered it in there somewhere, but I haven't found it. All I have found is people saying don't say you care where you are placed in your interview. I am really interested, but I want to know how many people are competing for how many spots in how many places, and what the likelihood is of getting a spot you request.

I have asked this on a few threads, and I haven't seen an answer. The main NHSC thread is so long, I am sure someone answered it in there somewhere, but I haven't found it. All I have found is people saying don't say you care where you are placed in your interview. I am really interested, but I want to know how many people are competing for how many spots in how many places, and what the likelihood is of getting a spot you request.

They don't do interviews anymore. And as far as I can tell from reading the various forums, you apply to whatever locations you want to from the published list. You get the job, negotiate your pay and benefits, as long as it is within the guidlines. You have a list to choose from, but it is up to you to get your job. They ONLY place you somewhere if you have not found a job by the deadline.