abilify 7.5 mg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michaelrack

All In at the wrong time
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the cheapest (covered by insurance) and easiest way for patient to give abilify 7.5 mg?
how hard is it to split the 15 mg tablet?

Members don't see this ad.

what is the cheapest (covered by insurance) and easiest way for patient to give abilify 7.5 mg?
how hard is it to split the 15 mg tablet?
It doesn't look like they come in 7.5mg tabs and from what I can tell, the 15's aren't scored. However, aripiprazole's half life is ~75 hours so you could dose 15mg QOD. At least in my area you can get a 2 month supply (30 tabs) this way for ~$12 cash using GoodRX.

I’ve done 5+2 without issues re coverage

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Splitting 15 mg aripiprazole with a decent pill cutter has worked well for my patients on 7.5 mg. Have also not had a problem with insurance on separate 5 mg and 2 mg Rx and have also dosed 15 mg QOD or Q 3 days, alternating. Quite affordable with GoodRx as well.

Reactions: 2 users
I have never had anyone complain about trying to split 15s and if insurance has never kicked up a fuss. The 2 mg tablets, though...
My families have been able to pretty successfully split the 2mg tabs for what it's worth (as well as the 5's and 15's). I always tell them it's not a huge deal if one side is a bit more than the other. The big thing to keep in mind with splitting Abilify is that the pills degrade overtime when exposed to air. Thus the schedule needs to be using the other 1/2 of the split pill the next day (i.e. do not presplit the whole bottle for convenience latter), I always mention this to patients/families.

Reactions: 10 users
My families have been able to pretty successfully split the 2mg tabs for what it's worth (as well as the 5's and 15's). I always tell them it's not a huge deal if one side is a bit more than the other. The big thing to keep in mind with splitting Abilify is that the pills degrade overtime when exposed to air. Thus the schedule needs to be using the other 1/2 of the split pill the next day (i.e. do not presplit the whole bottle for convenience latter), I always mention this to patients/families.

Thanks for this pearl. I’ve had many patients who split their Abilify tabs, so definitely something I will be talking about my patients going forward.

Any other commonly split psych meds where this can be an issue?