Aba Critical Care boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not NPO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for guidance regarding study material. I’m currently using the SCCM book, has anyone used something else? Are the Chest questions worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

You’d have to do a search for it, but I posted what I used shortly after I took the exam - so prolly 2014 or 2015.

That test triggers me. It was a total bitch of an exam, and - of all the tens/dozens of exams I’d taken to that point in medical education/training - it was the least aligned with what I was taught/clinically learned out of any test I’d ever taken. I distinctly remember a question about electrolyte anomaly caused by the very 1st generation HAART therapy meds, and thought “This? A year of ECMO and CRRT and sepsis and VADs and nutrition and POCUS and…THIS?!?”. I resigned myself to sure failure.

Statistically, the pass rate is pretty good, and so it must not have been that bad. But I hated it.

Either way: I posted on it a few yrs ago, and a buddy of mine from residency (Femtochemistry) posted there as well. I remember leaving some details on what I used.

Reactions: 2 users
SCCM self-assessment was all I used to study for the exam. Probably has gotten a bit easier since Bigdan took it, but if you had the opportunity to take the ITE as a fellow it's very similar.

Stupid questions about dermatopath and OB CCM are abound, but I think you can still achieve a high score even if you bomb all of them.

Reactions: 1 user
Looking for guidance regarding study material. I’m currently using the SCCM book, has anyone used something else? Are the Chest questions worth it?

Took it in 2017. Used the SCCM orange book but I think that one is a bit simplistic. Best resource was indeed the CHEST CCM question bank ($$$). Also read select chapters of Parrillo's Critical Care Medicine.

In the last 5 years uptodate has become very good so I think I'd also be using that as a resource since it distills so many society guidelines into easy to digest articles.

Reactions: 1 user