A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalstudent267

Reaction score
A

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hoping for an upward trend in the GPA, that will help you out.

You could add Penn as a reach school, look into their mission to see if there's a fit. Maybe some other schools to look into could be Case Western or Boston. But otherwise I don't see anything glaring at me in your list. LECOM and Nova stand out, but I've seen a lot of east coast applicants have some success with those schools so that isn't something to be overly concerned about.

Ultimately up to you. With your GPA you might want to throw in a couple to try and get to 10-12 schools just to cover the spread a little more. But if not, I think what you have is fine

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Do you think for the schools on this list, the DAT score and cumulative GPA could make up for the subpar science GPA?
Your DAT helps balance out your lower sGPA. You took engineering courses too (which shouldn't be included in BCP GPA and probably not sGPA)? I might be misinterpreting, but I don't have your transcript...

Reactions: 1 user
Date of submission: August 16, 2023
Overall GPA: 3.63
Science GPA: 3.32
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.32
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
Attempt 1: 19 AA | 16 Bio | 16 Gen Chem | 19 Orgo | 22 QR | 21 RC | 17 PAT
Attempt 2: 23 AA | 22 Bio | 22 Gen Chem | 18 Orgo | 24 QR | 30 RC | 18 PAT
State of Residence: Maryland

Undergrad Attended: University of Maryland, College Park
Major: Business Management
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience:
150 hours General Dentist
50 hours Endodontist
20 hours General Dentist (international)

Volunteering Experience:
Week-long Dental Mission trip to Panama (along with fundraising through three semesters at UMD)
120 hours religious community kitchen
60 hours teaching English at underprivileged elementary school abroad
40 hours local elementary school

Employment:
320 hours Summer camp counselor
725 hours Endodontist office administrative assistant

Research: None
Other Extracurriculars:
President of religious club on campus; Biology teaching assistant for 6 semesters; Global Dental Brigades Member and Volunteer; UMD Honors Consulting Program with engineering, comp sci, and fellow business students; private Biology tutor; intramural softball

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List, 1st place Capstone Project in UMD Honors Consulting Program
LOR type and strength:
Committee Letter which contains 6 LORs:
2 from science professors
1 from religious leader (letter was focused on community service)
1 from UMD Consulting Club Capstone course
1 from dentist I worked for for 2 summers
1 from Bio professor I for whom I was a TA for 6 semesters

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
sGPA has general downward trend F --> J years, with senior year rebound
Application submitted mid-August shortly after second DAT attempt

School list:
Maryland
Touro
Rutgers
Temple
Tufts
LECOM
Nova Southeastern
Stony Brook
Pitt

Which schools am I missing? Which schools should I remove?
Deciding if throwing in UPenn is worthwhile? I know it is quite a reach with science GPA relatively low, but cGPA and DAT more realistic. Worth trying or waste of money?
what were the TS scores for attempt 1 and 2?

I think the OP wants to stay near the East Coast, and there are few privates that appeal. If I'm wrong, you could see about Louisville, Marquette, Detroit Mercy. NYU only if you can handle the COA and the huge class size. With the background/experience with consulting, a good program that has a solid foundation in business/practice fundamentals may be of interest, and likely why I think the OP wants Penn.

I think we've mentioned VCU before? In relative terms, they seem to be OOS friendly.