A sneak peak at the future residency meta-game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The (non-final, non-binding) proposals from this committee will likely not go into effect in any time frame relevant to people currently in medical school (other than MD/PhDs maybe), but the recommendations from this report likely provide a sneak peek at the future match process changes currently under consideration. You can also provide your own opinion through a survey.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for posting. Seems like an insightful piece, and I'm sure the original text is full of legalese/businessese gobbledygook.

Kind of wish there were more real stakeholders (ie not business execs) at the table.

Members don't see this ad :)
The (non-final, non-binding) proposals from this committee will likely not go into effect in any time frame relevant to people currently in medical school (other than MD/PhDs maybe), but the recommendations from this report likely provide a sneak peek at the future match process changes currently under consideration. You can also provide your own opinion through a survey.

@Med Ed @NotAProgDirector thoughts pls because some of those recommendations like the COMLEX one are a disaster

Also i slam SLOEs a lot and the only specialty that requires it is collapsing
Whaddya have against SLOEs. I think they're a step in the right direction so long as they are truly standardizes and anonymous.

Reactions: 1 user
The point where they want to study unmatched students has a simple solution, stop opening new medical schools

Reactions: 5 users
They require aways and can backfire badly. Of course, covid changed everything but if i want to do IM, i don't want to do aways and gamble on SLOEs
Agreed the away portion mixed with COVID is a recipe for a disaster, BUT what if there was just SLOE-style letter requirements? I feel that's better than the LORs now where half the people just get someone they know who's well recognized in the field to create an even bigger advantage for top medical schools.

Agreed the away portion mixed with COVID is a recipe for a disaster, BUT what if there was just SLOE-like letter requirements? I feel that's better than the LORs now where half the people just get someone they know who's well recognized in the field to create an even bigger advantage for top medical schools.
Oh that i'd agree would be better

@Med Ed @NotAProgDirector thoughts pls because some of those recommendations like the COMLEX one are a disaster
My feelings are mixed. There are a lot of recommendations. Most seem reasonable, even desirable, but it reads like a laundry/wish list generated by a committee. Which is exactly what it is.

The heart of the current system's dysfunction is overapplication, and when you get to rec #28 (the only rec for Theme: Matching Process) it basically says that the matching system should be redesigned. Um, I sort of thought that was what the Coalition has been working on for however long. Instead they seem content to tinker around the edges while the real can gets kicked down the road a bit further.

Some of the recommendations would actually make more sense in the context of medical school admissions. When 60% of the applicant pool doesn't get in each year there is a real possibility that good people can be overlooked. But spending tons of effort to pretend to differentiate US seniors is a waste of time when there is a ~94% match rate year after year. It's just rearranging the furniture to no useful end.

Reactions: 4 users
Busy week, late to the party. I agree with @Med Ed that this reads like something written by a committee. Lots of feel good statements and goals that are hard to disagree with, yet probably impossible to implement in reality.

#3 - A single, comprehensive electronic professional development career planning resource for students will provide universally accessible, reliable, up-to-date, and trustworthy information and guidance. This is a great example. Sure, it sounds great to have some single career planning (presumably web based) resource. But do you think we can really build a one-size-fits-all resource that somehow is going to really work for everyone? How is that really supposed to work? It's going to be way to general to be helpful, and not take into consideration individual performance and attributes -- because it can't. Sounds good, but this just isn't possible. Or it is, and it's called SDN.

7. UME and GME educators, along with representatives of the full educational continuum, should jointly define and implement a common framework and set of outcomes (competencies) to apply to learners across the continuum from UME to GME. This is another dubious goal. Trying to define competencies in med ed is a pipe dream. Competencies work well for well defined task-based assessments, they do not work well in more vague professional skill based assessments. For example, can we define the competency of taking a history? Sure, if we define it based on some checklist of things to ask. But a good history isn't a checklist -- it's knowing when to dig deeper, when things are distractors, etc. These types of things are extremenly difficult to assess on a competency scale -- and very difficult to do "at scale" -- i.e. with 100+ students rotating through. Sounds good, but not possible.

Perhaps a better way of explaining my thinking -- Competency scales are good for measuring things that are linear. But they do not work, at all, for things that are non-linear. How well a grocery clerk can check out items can easily be measured on a competency scale. Artist quality can't be measured using a competency scale. Physicians fall somewhere in between.

#8, 9, and others are similar -- we should have better tools, more faculty development, etc, same deal. Sound good. Like world peace. Definitely laudable goal. Not terribly practical. Definitely worth working towards. Perhaps not solvable.

#21 - a database of program applicants and interviews, is something I completely agree with. This is (relatively) easy to do. How much would it really help -- can't tell. Residency Explorer is a good first step, but I agree this is based only upon matched candidates, and adding those invited to interview would also probably be helpful. But I don't think it would actually change any behavior.

#22 - discrete fields in the MSPE. Sounds good, but really impossible unless we standardize medical school performance. If all schools were required to put their students into quartiles, then having that in a standardized format would be very helpful. But if schools can say that 80% of their students are Outstanding and the other 20% are Superior, how are you going to "standardize" that? How does this lead to a more holistic review? Seems like it would lead to more automatic filtering. The only thing that would be standardizeable, at all, would be clerkship grades, shelf exams, and overall quartile.

#23 - meaningful filters. Sure. Like what? Filters that match program mission. Like what? My program's mission is to "train good doctors".

#24 - Report USMLE and COMLEX as a single percentile. I feel this is the worst suggestion of the bunch. The graph in Carmody's post of the most recent comparison of COMLEX to USMLE shows what every other comparison has shown -- in general, students score lower on the USMLE than the CMLEX. There's lots of scatter, and there will be plenty of people (some whom are certain to comment on this post) who will do better on USMLE. But there is a very clear overall correlation. Treating the two equally assumes that the two exams are measuring the same thing, and that the populations of students taking the exams are equivalent. Both of those may not be true. In fact, the graph shows one very big inconvenient truth -- the minimum pass for COMLEX is 400, and USMLE is 194. Draw those lines on that graph. How many people failed COMLEX but passed the USMLE? Two. How many people passed COMLEX but failed the USMLE. Quite a few. Treating the exams equally is ridiculous. Perhaps we shouldint use these exams at all for decisions -- just pass/fail. That's a discussion I'm willing to have. But even at that, it's not clear that a pass on each exam means the same thing. This one has Gimple's fingerprints all over it.

#25 - totally agree, programs should not offer more interviews than slots. Getting a uniform offer date is going to be difficult.

#26 - I think programs could offer both in person and virtual interviewing options and be fair about it.

#28 - Early match - I've already written about my ideas about that here.

#35 - an ILP for each intern. You're kidding, right? How am I supposed to know what you need if you haven't started working yet? The medical schools are going to tell me?

#40 - this is probably the best recommendation of them all. It's easy to implement, and hardly costs anything. It also will affect only a small number of people, so impact is muted.

Overall, lots of things that sound good, but seem impossible to implement. A few ideas that are practical and would have a small benefit.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
20 - 21/23. The AAMC presumably has this data. So you spin up an elasticsearch instance and put the ERAS data in the elasticsearch instance. I dont know why this is seen as some big challenge to overcome worthy of even being on this list. It's literally take the data you already have and do the work. It's less work than writing this into the proposal and getting everyone to sign-off on it!

27. Interview caps really only work to prevent cases of where people are going to a stupid amount of interviews, when the cost of attendance is low and they are a highly competitive applicant. Interview caps don't actually fix any of the major issues with the match. In order to implement interview caps you have to have everyone using the same interview scheduler so you know how many interviews invites applicants are actually sending. So you're just griefing program directors by forcing them to use a specific interview scheduler instead of the one they want.

28. An early match is a stupid idea. It would have a lot of downstream effects depending on the implementation and isn't in-line with the design goals of the match.

Application inflation is a root cause of the current dysfunction in the UME-GME transition. The current high cost of the application process (to applicants and program directors) does not serve the public good. The 2020 NRMP program director survey found that only 49% of applications received an in-depth review. An unread application represents wasted cost to the applicants and doubling the resources available for review is not practical. Optimal career advising may not be sufficient to reduce application numbers in the context of a very high stakes process. Despite increased transparency in characteristics of matched applicants, the number of applications per applicant continues to rise.

Application caps are much easier to implement and wouldn't have any downstream effects. Why aren't application caps a proposal if it's agreed that application inflation is the root cause of the UME-GME transition dysfunction?

Last edited:
Idk how anyone can look at the early admissions metagame for colleges and wish that upon the match

Whaddya have against SLOEs. I think they're a step in the right direction so long as they are truly standardizes and anonymous.
My classmates talked to the upper years, found the sites where you don’t really do a lot and basically everyone gets a generic good sloe. Even sloe can be gamed

The two headaches with EM SLOEs
- the amount of money spent dual applying because you don’t know how your SLOE was. Every EM applicant I know also applied to either FM or IM
- fierce competition to find an EM rotation in July-September to gather your sloes. Regular LOR are very easy to get. If you don’t know how to find rotations (ie vsas is all you know), you’re most definitely fked. My spouse is going into EM and just finding an EM rotation in those months wasn’t fun

I don’t really have a solution here tbh. Just spitballing

My classmates talked to the upper years, found the sites where you don’t really do a lot and basically everyone gets a generic good sloe. Even sloe can be gamed

The two headaches with EM SLOEs
- the amount of money spent dual applying because you don’t know how your SLOE was. Every EM applicant I know also applied to either FM or IM
- fierce competition to find an EM rotation in July-September to gather your sloes. Regular LOR are very easy to get. If you don’t know how to find rotations (ie vsas is all you know), you’re most definitely fked. My spouse is going into EM and just finding an EM rotation in those months wasn’t fun

I don’t really have a solution here tbh. Just spitballing
Like I said before the format of the SLOE, not the EM system of aways and all that.